Favorite Czech Beer - Light

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by My Czech Republic, Sep 7, 2005.

?

What's your favorite Czech LIGHT beer? (We will have a separate poll for DARK or BLACK beers)

1. Bernard (Humpolec)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bohemia Regent (Třeboň)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Braník (Prague)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Budvar/Budweiser (České Budějovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dačický (Kutná Hora)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Eggenberg (Český Krumlov)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gambrinus (Plzeň)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Holba (Hanušovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Hostan (Znojmo)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ježek (Jihlava)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Krušovice (Krušovice)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  12. Litovel (Litovel)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Měšťan (Prague)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Platan (Protivín)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Plzeňský Prazdroj/Pilsner Urquell (Plzeň)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Radegast (Nošovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Starobrno (Brno)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Staropramen (Prague)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Velkopopovický Kozel (Velké Popovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Zlatopramen (Ústí nad Labem)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Other - please tell us in a post in this forum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. minimilk

minimilk New Member

2. Albertoc

Albertoc Member

Rebel!!! 8) The Havlickuv Brod beer..this is the best!!!

3. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I am not a big beer drinker but my husband got "addicted" by Gambrinus while he was in CR. I agree with him, this is a very good beer, but I cannot compare much.
    But from what I know my father loved Gambrinus too and the majority of guys around me (still in CR).

It is a pity that we cannot get this brand in the US; Saab-Miller, the owner, does not want this brand to be imported. Few years ago it was possible to get Gambrinus here, not anymore.

The only way how to get Gambrinus is to order it online but this is quite expensive.

4. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

Radegast ain't too shabby, I have some in the fridge for this evening as we speak. Ostravar isn't too awfully bad either. Is that a wheat beer?

5. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

I dont know in the shops, but u can drink gambrinus (even in a bottle 500ml, which I prefer) at the czech inn, in temple bar, for 4Euro.

6. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

I dont know in the shops, but u can drink gambrinus (even in a bottle 500ml, which I prefer) at the czech inn, in temple bar, for 4Euro.

7. TReady

TReady Member

I wonder how many of these I could track down in the States. There is no question yours is one of the truly, truly great beer countries in the world. The original is still the best, I say. Urquell is a rare mass-market product that actually is exceptionally good. I love that beer, always will I suppose.

8. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

My first night out with Czech people I was given two glasses and not told what was in each and asked to choose, so that everyone would know what type of a person I was.. It turns out the drinks were Budwar and Plzen and I choose Plzen!

I really would need to spend a night with Budwar before I felt truly comfortable with the decision though

9. TReady

TReady Member

There is no question to me of the two- Pilsner Urquell is one of the very best of any style anywhere in the world. It is the definitive Czech beer, to me. Soooo tasty, and you can kick back and just enjoy them, one after the other.

We just got a keg of a beer called "Samson" at my favorite bar here in Seattle. Very full-bodied and tasty beer- excellent color, too. There are many that are very good, but I think this one would be number two for me. It is a feast of riches and hops with the CZ beer though- you really can't go wrong.

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That means you prefer Budweiser over Pilsner after all. :wink:

Samson is the most authentic of Budweisers. Its brewed in the most oldest working brewery in České Budějovice (aka Budweis). It’s less known than the city concurrent of Budvar, but the experts (i.e. Czechs :twisted:) are perfectly aware of its existence.

Samson is the guy on the fontain on the main square in České Budějovice:

[​IMG]

11. asmithnc

asmithnc Member

My first taste of Czech beer was 6 weeks ago..... pilsner. WOW, the taste caught me so off guard. It is my least favorite pivo and still after 6 weeks I stay away. But the great thing about Brno is that another pub is always close bye.

So far my favorite beers are.....

Redegast
    budvar
    gambrinus
    Cerna hora

14 degree Cerna hora is on my menu tonight. Na zdravi

12. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

I have to say my first introduction to Czech beer was Staropramen here in the UK which was always dirt cheap and sometimes available on draft. Whilst in Prague I have continued to drink it but I had Krusovice in July and that was really nice too.

I voted Staropramen mind, but Pilsner Urquell & Krusovice would have been fine too

:D

13. MattRadio

MattRadio Member

Color me Krusovice!

14. woyzeck

woyzeck Active Member

Eggenberg :p

15. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

After getting on for two years now, I think I know a bit more about beer than I did when we arrived, which wasn't difficult. :)

I find Pilsner too bitter - although enthusiasts tell me that it's supposed to be bitter and so I think I voted for Gambrinus originally. But now my palate has got more sophisticated (she said pretentiously!), I'm a great fan of Bernard.

16. Katie/Katerina

Katie/Katerina Active Member

I like Dark Kozel, or Gambrinus 10 or 12, depending on how brave I'm feeling :)

17. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I just saw the very nice picture of the fountain in České Budějvice.
    Samson is the statue on the fountain. He was a brewer?

Budějvice is where we in america get the name Budweiser?

Czech republic has such beautiful city centers.

18. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, Samson is biblical hero.

Yes, “Budweis” is German name of “České Budějovice” and “Budweiser” is the related German adjective.

BTW, the yesterday’s ruling of the EU courts confirmed that only the breweries from České Budějovice are allowed to use the Budweiser trademark.

Yes, we have. :D

19. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

BTW, the yesterday’s ruling of the EU courts confirmed that only the breweries from České Budějovice are allowed to use the Budweiser trademark.

This is awesome!!! And about bloody time! Do you have a link please? In english preferably.....

20. jpkrohling

jpkrohling Member