Favorite Czech Meal?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by My Czech Republic, May 17, 2004.

?

If you could have only one Czech meal, which of the following would you choose?

1. Beef goulash with dumplings (Hovězí guláš s knedlíkem)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Beef sirloin with dumplings and vegetable cream sauce (Svíčková na smetaně, knedlík)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Roast pork, dumplings and sauerkraut (Vepřová pečeně, knedlík, zelí / "vepřo-knedlo-zelo")

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Roasted duck with sauerkraut and dumplings (Pečená kachna se zelím a knedlíkem)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pork schnitzel with mashed potatoes (Smažený vepřový řízek s bramborovou kaší)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other - please tell us in a post in this forum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

What is your favorite Czech meal? Log in to vote!

2. wuzburg

wuzburg New Member

fried cheese with small tomatoes . everything just about! i miss the food!! :D

3. nikia7

nikia7 New Member

definetly fried cheese with ketchup! Its best after dancing all night at the clubs while waiting for your tramvaj!

4. AldenEagle

AldenEagle New Member

Didn't see any fried cheese anywhere!? :x

The hotdogs in the squares were quite nice, cheap and well placed, although I have to say I went to a Pizzaria near the Trade Fair Palace and it was better than anything i've had in my two trips to Italy.

Although the bohemian meals were very good! :D

I'd go for the duck anyday,

5. Emperor

Emperor Member

Any fruit dumplings, with sugar, and butter and toasted ground up bread crums (does that make sense?)

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Boiled oxtail with apple horseradish sauce...and dark rye bread... just the way my granma used to serve!

7. marv_boy

marv_boy Active Member

I find it really hard to decide but one of my favoufites is................are

''sunkafleky'' :)

8. ceskyank

ceskyank New Member

I vote for pork, knedliky, and sauerkraut; with the kachna a close second.

9. trinik

trinik New Member

i haven't got much of a clue how any of those things taste i live in Trinidad & Tobago lol

10. Ioseph

Ioseph Member

beef goulash and dumplings.... but after taking several times in a menza... i started to miss my tacos.

11. ursula

ursula Well-Known Member

you eat sauerkraut more than the germans!
    i voted for gulyas. i like sauerkraut prepared in the alsatian manner, with carrots, bacon and vermout.
    ursula

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I think we Czechs eat more cabbage than sauerkraut, however, both are delicious, especially the Moravian cabbage or home-made sauerkraut with Těšínská apples or with horseradish and dill!

13. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

And only now I noticed that in the poll items vepřo-knedlo-zelo and pečená kachna s knedlíkem a zelím, "zelo" or "zelí" is translated as sauerkraut, which is not correct. It is cabbage; sauerkraut is usually served with smoked meat and potato dumplings.

14. ursula

ursula Well-Known Member

how about a recipe for moravian sauerkraut and ill cook it. i dont basically like to cook. but it was expected of my generation. since then ive stopped doing things that are expected.
    ursula

15. hint

hint Member

smažák =) (fried cheese with potatoes)

16. ursula

ursula Well-Known Member

dankeschoen
    ursula

17. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Znojemsky gulas, knedlik
    Spanelske ptacky, knedlik
    Chlupate knedliky, zeli
    Skubanky se skvarkami
    Buchticky se sodo
    Smazeny kvetak (Fried, breaded cauliflower) brambor (and potato)
    Karbanatek a bramborova kase, kysela okurka
    Rajska omacka, knedlik
    Kapustove karbanatky

Can you tell I LOVE to eat?

18. mravenec

mravenec Well-Known Member

I cannot believe you forgot to put smažený sýr on the list! (and nothing is better than that with krokety and tatar sauce!) :eek:

And by the way, the fresh cabbage you get in your obloha, if you're lucky, is as Jana pointed out, is indeed very different from the German Sauerkraut (and much more tasty).

19. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hmm, I grew up having vepřo-knedlo-zelo with sauerkraut and nothing but sauerkraut. Cabbage is basically never used in my (Moravian) family.

I think Jana meant cooked cabbage used as a příloha, not obloha.

20. kbelka

kbelka New Member

My favorite is duck. Potato dumplings. Plum dumplings and one kolac for desert. Two dark beers and one becherovka.