Favorite Czech Meal?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by My Czech Republic, May 17, 2004.

?

If you could have only one Czech meal, which of the following would you choose?

1. Beef goulash with dumplings (Hovězí guláš s knedlíkem)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Beef sirloin with dumplings and vegetable cream sauce (Svíčková na smetaně, knedlík)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Roast pork, dumplings and sauerkraut (Vepřová pečeně, knedlík, zelí / "vepřo-knedlo-zelo")

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Roasted duck with sauerkraut and dumplings (Pečená kachna se zelím a knedlíkem)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pork schnitzel with mashed potatoes (Smažený vepřový řízek s bramborovou kaší)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other - please tell us in a post in this forum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I consider the entire family called "gulas" as a Slavic dish. I believe that in the United States, they would be called stews. "Segedyn Gulas" is, in my book more Hungarian than Czech, however, there are different types of "gulas" that I feel are Czech - including "Gulasova Polevka" (Goulash Soup) and regular "Gulas" made with beef and potatoes.

I may be wrong, but that is what I was taught.

2. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

then I have to add to my favorite czech meals list at the 4th place: gulas with knedlik (of course drinking a fresh beer, starobrno or gambrinus, for me the best) :lol:

3. sleepybee

sleepybee Member

Did anybody mentioned bramborove placky se skvarkama, boruvkove knedliky,drstkovou polevku?

4. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I haven't thought about that in YEARS. I actually liked that soup very much. I don't know if my family would eat it unless I did not tell them what it was made from.

5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I haven't had that in years either. I tried to make it once, but it just wasn't the same. My mother made a good one, but I don't have her recipe. She took it to the grave with her. Too bad..........

6. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Here is the recipe my mother had:

1 1/2 lb Tripe washed in BOILING water
    6 cups water
    4 tbsp flour
    1/2 tsp paprika (Sweet Hungarian)
    4 tbsp shortening
    2 cups root vegetables (1/2 cup each -carrots, onion, celery root, parsnips)
    3 tbsp butter
    pepper (to taste)
    salt (to taste)
    1/4 tsp marjoram
    1 tsp parsley - minced
    1 clove garlic - minced

Boil water and salt. Simmer tripe for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until tender. Remove from water. Make a roux by melt shortening in a pan and add flour and paprika - brown LIGHTLY. In a separate pan, melt butter and brown root vegetables. Add to the water the tripe were boiled in the vegetables and the flour. Simmer for 15 minutes. Return strips of tripe to mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients. Let cook at low heat for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with rye bread.

OPTION - add diced smoked meat or sliced hot dogs if you wish (we never ahd that added)

7. Irena M

Thank you stepan!
    Next time I'll get some, I'll have to try it.

8. sleepybee

sleepybee Member

And allspice,bay leaves and potatoes cut in small pieces.
    Thicken it just a little bit w/golden roux.

9. Irena M

Allspice and bay leaves sound good. I don't remember having any potatoes in the soup, but it's a thought.

Yes, roux, I use it in a lot of things. :)

Thanks!

10. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Gulas Soup has potatoes, however Gulas does not.

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

There are many sorts of goulash.

12. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

That is true, however, I must clarify, the beef goulas soup that my mother made, there were potatoes, but the beef gulash she made had NO potatoes.

Segedyn gulas has no potatoes, but has sauerkraut and is made with pork. There was a ground beef gulas that she made (I think she called it Italian Gulas) that had pasta and tomatoes in it.

13. Jazyk

Jazyk Member

Palačinky! I don't know for sure if it's originally Czech, but my wife, who is Czech, makes them often and I love them.

14. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

Beef goulash with dumplings.

8)

15. woyzeck

woyzeck Active Member

jelenin sirloin and gulash jelenin .

16. Hmmm where to start....haha :D

I gotta say my favorites are meatball (liver) soup, dumplings with sauerkraut, kolace and these little desserts that resemble mini trdlo with a creamy filling which we refer to as troubičky.

If anzone can help me with the actual czech names of these foods, that would be excellent!

Thanks,
    Anthony

17. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

18. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Není zač! 8)

19. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I've never had czech cooking, so I can't say. I'm sure I would like it.
    I liked the restaurants in Germany.
    Schnitzel....very good.
    Knotwůrst und brotchen
    Hranolky s majonézou....french fries with mayonnaise.

Mexican food, always good.....enchiladas, tortillas, tacos, rice and refried beans