food suggestion

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Ruzete, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Ahoj,
    I am having a cultural exchange at my school, so everyone has to bring a dish from their ancestors country. I'm not sure what I should bring because nobody there likes sauerkraut. And its a young/adult group 16-18 yrs. And i want it to appeal to an American group...I was thinking about Jablokovy zavin- Apple studel maybe but does anyone have any other suggestion that is easier to make?
    dekuji

2. atyka

atyka Well-Known Member

Hello, you might like to do bramboraky. Ovocne (tvarohove) knedliky? Buchty? There is a lot you can think of, it just depends on how difficult and time-consuming meal you choose :)

3. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

I have got a big book on US cuisines. It recommends the Nebraska Czechs' pastries called "Apricot Kolaches", and Runzas filled with ground beef. :p

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

You can never go wrong serving koláče!

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

How about fried cheese with boiled potatoes and tartar sauce? Czechs love their fried cheese and it's very easy to make.

6. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    thanks for all the great suggestions, Dana i was thinking about fried-cheese cause i love it but it will be sitting in my locker along with my books for 3 hourse before i get to that class, so most of the food will have to be cold...as for the kolaces i have never been able to make those to difficult!
    My mom suggested Apple strudel and i think that was a volunteer for her to make it,lol, do you think that would work? Butchy is my second choice!

7. atyka

atyka Well-Known Member

hi, tell us how was the class, will you? I 'm curious what did you choose finally for taking to your mates and what did they say? what other national food did you taste? tx

8. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

hey,
    I did end up bring the Apple strudel, and there wasn't much left after all was said and done.Everyone enjoyed it thoroughly and complemented me. My tourism class was joined by the ESL class (English Second Language/ or English Speaking Lessons- I don't know what it stands for) and they had a representation for us from their country and told us about it while we ate. It was quite interesting and they're English was very good for beginners.
    Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Polish, Dominican, Greek were the main food groups.
    The food was great we had: quite alot of Spanish food-Enchilada's, Tamali's, Tortilla's...shrimp cocktail, Southern Fried Chicken, Eggplant stuff, Smoked Salmon-alot of that because we are in Alaska, Some type of raw fish salad,Polish Blueberry Pierogi (yum!).Crumb Cake, jello. And then a whole lot of Dominican Republic food that i don't remember the names of it.
    Over all it was a success and our class mingled with theirs and we learned alot about the different cultures.
    Thank you for all the help you guys!

9. atyka

atyka Well-Known Member

that sounds great :) glad you had success with strudel, yum!