garage sales

Discussion in 'Culture' started by dzurisova, Jan 8, 2007.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I understand that garage sales are not a custom in the CR. What do people do with things they no longer want, but are still good? Do they put adds in the paper? Are there non-profit thrift shops?

When my mother-in-law came here, she was in love with the concept of garage sales and when there weren't any, she wanted to go to thrift shops. I must say, I love them too. It's nice to get a pair of designer jeans for $4 just because someone else gained too much weight and could no longer fit into them. :lol:

2. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

For clothes we have SECOND HAND shops, for sport items and any hobby stuff (or even animals etc.) BURZA and also adds in paper/internet are very used.

3. JJJ

JJJ Member

Czechs rarely get rid of "old" things. They keep it all for decades in their attics, cellars and garden sheds. It is a nation of rubbish-collecting hamsters. That's why the Czech countryside often looks so horrible. You often see a house or cottage virtually burried under the piles of rubbish collected over several decades.

4. mbm

mbm Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. Every single one of us is a rubbish-collecting hamster. I mean, why throw anything out? Who knows you won't need it next year? Or twenty years later? Or your son's children might need it one day. Or their children!

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!" Sorry, I just had to insert a Monty Python quote. I've noticed that Russians are the same way, like the rubbish-collecting hamster, I mean, not that they smell of elderberries (vodka, perhaps :wink: ).

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Exactly!
    I'm just looking to my pile of horseshoes, top hats, washboards and lamp chimneys! ;-)

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I guess Slovaks are the same as well. My father-in-law is Slovakian. He had to build a HUGE storage building to hold ALL the things he may never use.

Only he doesn't share any of it with his kids! :wink: :cry:

His American wife has been saying for years, "One of these times when he goes to Slovakia without me, I'm going to sell it all in a garage sale."
    She'd never do it. He'd come home and die of a heart attack if she got rid of all his prized possessions. :lol:

8. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

So true! Just look at "modern" fashion. Low-rise jeans, halter tops, maybe even fifty years later. In a recent sewing flyer I got was a few new patterns for 1940's and 50's style patterns. In the states college kids decorate like 60's and 70's hippie style. Under current observations 80's stuff will be coming out of storage soon :roll: .