getting married

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kerri, Apr 7, 2006.

1. kerri

kerri New Member

This is my first time on the site and I need some help. In 2 months I will be getting married to a man who was born in the Czech Republic. We both now live in Canada. The only family he has in the country are his parents and brother who live 3500 km away. They will be flying in for the wedding and I would like to surprise his parents by having some Czech traditions incorporated in the ceremony. Can anyone suggest something? Also, in searching, I found the name of a traditional Czech wedding song called "Pisen Slavebni". I just can't find the actual song anywhere to download or buy it. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with that. Thanks everyone.

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

When leaving the place of your wedding ceremony (where you usually take pictures in front of the building), two people hold the ribbon (or rope) across, groom takes the bride in his arms and steps, carrying her over the obstacle). This is usually done by the exit from the city hall/church (all wedding guests are waiting outside, waiting for newlyweds to come out). It means "I will carry you in my arms (cherish you) on our way through life". Make sure more people are taking pictures of this - they are usually great (and funny).

"Pisen Svatebni"? It means "song wedding", perhaps look under "Svatebni pisen" = Wedding song, but it seems way too general - unless something like that was written. I will ask my Czech girlfriends.

3. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

"Svatební píseň" is a poem from Vítězslav Hálek

The most common music (worldwide): Mendelssohn-Bartholdy - Wedding March.

4. joejanak

joejanak New Member

Howdy,
    My son is getting married and we have the words for the Czech Wedding Song. I know it is 4 months late for you. Did you ever get the words? If so I'd like to compare them to ours. It was sang at my parent's wedding in 1950 and my wedding in 1979 and now at my son's on Jan. 6. 2007.

I'm really looking for the recorded version of the music although we know the tune.

Thanks for a reply.

Joe