Good Things About My Recent Visit to CR

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by kimba, Jun 17, 2005.

1. kimba

kimba Active Member

I had some amazingly crappy stuff happen and some really good stuff happen. Here is a short list of the good stuff:

I went to Prague in April without a hostel/hotel reservation and a guy named Roman approached me in the train station and he had two rooms available in two different apartments. I took the non-smoking one. VERY inexpensive and probably the best thing about my stay there as it really gave me a home base on the days when things went haywire. Roman takes reservations - http://www.robr.cz/ - but I think it's more fun to take chances.

On my birthday I found and visited the village outside of Prague where my Grandfather was born and lived a bit of his life before his entire family emmigrated to the US.

Pivo is good. :)

It is possible to get a reaction out of a Czech person - just try speaking Czech to someone! I went to the same bakery everyday for my Czech pastry name lesson.

Buying an Anglicky/Czech dictionary helped immensely.

I got to taked hundreds of wonderful photographs.

I lost a lot of weight because I'm almost a vegetarian :)

But I did find a veggie place with really decent food - Country Life - I ate there for lunch a lot.

Brambrury! YUM! In all its forms :)

I had a favorite bar - the punk bar next to Bohemian Bagels.

And when I read Milan Kundera - suddenly everything made sense!

Add your good things list!

2. Ir

Ir Well-Known Member

I went to Prague in February, and it was really cold - something like minus 20 at night. In the daytime it didn't get above freezing, so there was snow and ice in some places and even lumps of ice sticking out of the drainpipes! All this was good, because in Ireland it rarely goes below freezing, so it was a new experience!

Because of the season and the cold, there were very few tourists around. I liked this a lot because I'm not too fond of crowds. I'm going back to Prague next month so I expect it to be quite different!

The beer was wonderful, and much much cheaper than in Ireland. In Ireland a pint of lager (568 ml) costs nearly 4 euro. In central Prague it was usually 30 crowns or less (1 euro) for 500 ml. And Czech lager tastes so much better too.

I went to a really good concert in the Baroque Library Hall, by a group called Collegium Marianum. They were excellent, I highly recommend them to anybody visiting Prague. (Some of the other concerts looked like they were just designed for 'gullible' tourists however)

I really enjoyed walking up through the snow to the top of Petrin Hill and going up the Tower.

I liked the fact that a lot of Czech people couldn't speak English, so I could try to speak a little bit in Czech. Hopefully I can speak a bit more this time! And the people I tried to talk with were very appreciative (of me trying to speak Czech) and friendly.

Prague is beautiful.

3. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Absolutely Ir.

My wife and I were in Prague (and Caslav) at the end of February, and loved the dusting of snow in the old town. We also walked up to Petrin, (and walked back because the lanovka was closed!).

It didn't feel as cold as I thought it would, although -10 was normal.

When we visited Caslav, our friends took us for walk in a nearby forest in the snow. It was beautiful.