Hackl, Salava, Janovice...Does anyone recognize these names?

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Hackl/Salava26, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Hackl/Salava26

Hackl/Salava26 New Member

I have been working on my family tree with great-grandfather Charles Bohumil Hackl marrying Marie Salava. In my research, I have found other spellings for Hackl as being Hakl, Hackla, even Hacklova. I have been told that they came from a town called Janovice. If anyone has any information regarding this that could help me in my search I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

First, Hacklova is the feminine form of either Hackl or Hackla

Here is a list of similar surnames with the number of people officially listed as having these surnames in the Czech Republic, according to this page: http://www.mvcr.cz/statistiky/jmena/

Male:
    Hackl 70
    Häckl 32
    Hakl 703

Female
    Hacklová 86
    Häcklová 30
    Haklová 704

There are other similar forms listed as well, so I'm not sure which one is the one you're looking for. Note that the "ová" ending is the feminine form of the surname; hence Hacklová would be the surname of the wife and daughters of Mr. Hackl. The form Hackla is probably a genetive (posessive) declination of Hackl (Czech nouns and even names change according to their usage in a sentence), and therefore most likely is not a separate surname (at least I didn't find that variant in the surname database).

As for the town their are from, there are several possibilities:

Janovice : Silesia, near Frýdek-Místek,
    Janovice nad Úhlavou: Southern Bohemia, near Klatovy
    Uhlířské Janovice:Central Bohemia, near Kutná Hora
    Janovice v Podještědí Northern Bohemia, near Liberec
    Červené Janovice: also Central Bohemia, near Kutná Hora
    Velké JanoviceWestern Moravia (or perhaps Eastern Bohemia, not sure), near Žďár nad Sázavou
    Vrchotovy JanoviceCentral Bohemia, near Benešov

I don't mean to confuse you. Probably it's the first one, but I just threw these others out there just in case.