Help Learning Czech

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by Cloudy, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Cloudy

Cloudy Member

Eeee, my first post! :D

Anywho, I'm a silly Southern girl looking for someone to help me learn Czech. I can pronounce it just fine, and learning individual words and phrases is easy enough and I can do that on my own, but I must confess : I SUCK at grammar. So, is anyone willing to help me learn how Czech grammar works? Because it's hard to learn from a site, and I am pretty lost.

If anyone wants to teach me, PLEASE be really naggy and annoying, as I have a really bad habit of starting to learn a language and then giving up. :D Which is why I can converse with a child in German and French. And Russian. And Swedish. And Spanish. And Japanese. And Dutch. But I'm nowhere near fluent, and when someone starts speaking, I go, "Eeeeehhhh?".

But I really like Czech (as a culture and country, not just the language), and I really don't want to quit this time. After college, I plan on either moving to Terezín or Hodonín. Opposite sides of the country, I know. But it's such a nice place, and the people seem really sweet. And the culture is just so--ah! Love it.

So....takers? Really, I'm not as annoying as I appear.

2. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Dear Cloudy go to www.locallingo.com it's a real good start to this wounderful language. Then go buy some more ''You Know'' phrasebooks in Czech. Then get involved in the Community Message Boards. I'm starting to pick up on some words. There's alot of nice wounderful people here to point you in the right direction. It's not a easy language to learn but neither is english.

Dekuji Na shledanou 8) 8)

3. Cloudy

Cloudy Member

Ah, thanks so much! Czech is actually my second most desired language--it's right after Hungarian, which I am becoming quite proficient at. Sadly, I have to learn it all off sites, because I have yet to come across someone who actually speaks Hungarian. Gah.

4. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

Hi Cloudy,

If you need help with grammar, the best thing is to overcome your shyness and post something in Czech in the grammar section. People (like me) will respond and correct you and advise you.

Én is tanulok magyarul; majd talán vele egymásnak segítünk. A bátyomnak az asszonya magyar. Azt nem is tudom, hogy vannok-e azok a mondatok helyesek, és te? :)

5. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

A bátyám felesége magyar. (feleség = wife, asszony = woman) My elder brother's wife is Hungarian.

I think there is no copula in the third person in Hungarian:

Szeretném megkérdezni, hogy ezek a mondatok helyesek-e nyelvtanilag. (no vannak = are)

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Are you a polyglot, Zeisig? :-O

7. Cloudy

Cloudy Member

Eee, well, the thing is, I don't even know enough Czech yet to post in the grammar section. I'm working on conjugating the verbs and struggling to figure out how the nouns change. Gah.

But...there seem to be people here who speak Hungarian! I wasn't expecting that! I'm working on my Hungarian a lot harder than my Czech, but I still seem to be at the same place for both. This would be so much easier if I had a teacher. :?

I KNOW!!

A phone buddy! That's what I need! Off to random penpal sites I go! Unless there are any takers here... But that's unlikely. My voise is nasally and annoying, and I'm cheap, so I'm only up for someone with a Cingular, because then it's free to call anywhere. I wonder if Interpals still works...? *scurries off*

8. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

Köszönöm a javítást, Zeisig. Nem tudtam, hogy magyarul is beszélsz. Megtanultad, vagy te magyar vagy?

9. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Dear Cloudy
    Jak se mas ? Jsem dobře.

How is your czech coming along now? Best wishes. 8) 8)

10. Cloudy

Cloudy Member

Mám se dobře, děkuji! :D My česky could be a bit better, I guess. I'm still having trouble learning all the noun declensions and such, but my Hungarian is coming along pretty well! Thank you for asking!