Hey foreigners, do you like kofola?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by fabik317, May 31, 2005.

1. brcek

brcek Member

i hate it....taste like cheap coke with water

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I would say: "Čím ses zkazil, tím se naprav". But I usually cannot even look at all the stuff I drunk last evening/night.

But one of my friends usually drinks Becherovka and then in the morning use beer as hangover remedy.

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I think it must be a question of what you were brought up on. I have struggled with Kofola but I'm still not getting it. (Having said that, I'm not that keen on Coke either - I remember when I first tasted it, when I was about 12, I thought it tasted of disinfectant and it's not changed!)

But often when I'm in the Tesco check-out queue, there's a young person in front of me, buying Kofola. Part of it might be to do with price but they don't usually look, from the rest of their shopping, as though they are buying it because it's cheaper.

And Wissy, I wonder what Glenn would make of Irn-Bru?!

4. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

When we've taken junior ice hockey teams to play in the Czech Republic the kids have been pretty much split 50/50 on Kofola - they either love it or hate it, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

With regards to Irn-Bru - it is delicious!! (and I'm a Sassenach!)

5. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't imagine getting drunk on Becherovka. To me, it's just a small shot you do when you have an upset stomach or when you are just in the mood for that sweet herb taste. But I can't imagine drinking enough of it in one sitting to have a hangover the next day. Does he mix it with something like juice or pop?

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess not. We usually buy mineral waters and kofola only :) (But not to mix - ok, I sometimes mix kofola with rum or vodka). I guess the only one popular way to mix Becherovka is with tonic (we call it Beton).

Recent new years eve was funny, he was working until 8pm, he came to the party at 9pm with his girlfriend, he opened a bottle (1 liter), and the bottle was empty until midnight (she usually drink just a little of it).

But he is never hangover next morning, I would be dead sick if I would dring as much Becherovka (or whatever 40%) as he did.

7. dzurisova

Perhaps Becherovka is the thing that keeps him from getting sick. For me it's Jagermeister. I can drink more of Jager than other drinks just as strong without feeling the affects.

8. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

ooooh...
    you like Jager too! I'm just about to go have a shot at my local watering hole :D

9. dzurisova

Glenn, I hope you had a good time at your watering hole last night. I also had a glass of jager, mixed with diet coke.

10. thomash2

thomash2 New Member

Well, I for one LOVE Kofola, and I prefer it over Coke. Also, my friends and I use Kofola as a mixer with Rum. We call it Happy-Kofola, but the locals call it Rumola. Another good mix, as long as we're talking about Jager, is Jager and Coke, which to me tastes like Kofola, with that licorice taste.

11. dzurisova

hmmm, I guess I will have to try Kofola then when I'm in CR. I just assumed I wouldn't like it but your comment seals the deal for me. :wink:

12. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

You never know :)

Another country, another taste :)

I do not like ginger ale.

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Oh, one more stuff. I hate peanut butter. :evil: :x :roll: :!:

Sorry for off topic.

14. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty nasty tasting myself. I drink it when it's offered to be polite...I chase it with a shot of Slivovice.

15. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

uff first of all I imagined someone drinking peanut butter :-D ... then I realised he is talking about kofola :)

Kofola rulez!

16. kitkit

kitkit Member

It's yucky for the first time. After living here for almost 2 years, I don't mind the one with lemon flavour. :lol:

17. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Some places here do have peanut butter flavored milk shakes - not a real taste treat for me but, I do love regular peanut butter (especially chunky style - Jiffy brand - with strawberry jam). Just depends on what you grow up with :) .

18. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

Speaking of Peanut Butter, my new bride, born and raised in Czech, thinks peanut butter is HORRIBLE...but like Kofola.

19. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

its long time from your post, but u can drink kofola (that is great stuff to drink after a long alcoolic weekend...) in Dublin at "Czech Inn" pub in temple bar and I guess u can buy in all the polish and eastern food shop around the city.

always better kofola than the imperialist c.ca co.a...

20. sleepybee

sleepybee Member

I love Kofola, don't care for Coca Cola, Pepsi is O.K.
    Loved Peanut butter since the first day I discovered it in USA