Holiday Traditions

Discussion in 'Culture' started by stepan, Nov 20, 2006.

1. EmcaTanecnice

EmcaTanecnice Active Member

Is that the trick to being rich? I might have to try it, seeing as I'm a poor college student. :wink: lol

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I don't think it is the trick, because my czech friends make it every year and for some reason they aren't rich either! :lol: :wink:

3. Jackie Girl

Jackie Girl New Member

That's a wonderful tradition. I'm glad I found this site. Being Czech-American I can try to reconnect with my heritage. We've lost so much of it over the years. Thanks.

4. dzurisova

Jackie Girl, I see you are in Illinois. Are you close to Chicago? If so, there are many ways you can reconnect with your heritage. Here's a website for starters:

http://www.catvusa.com/index.php

5. Jackie Girl

Jackie Girl New Member

dzurisovok,

Thank you for the link! It's great. I'm originally from the Chicago suburbs but now live close to the Kentucky boarder. For New Year's eve I drove 400 miles to eat at a small Czech restaurant in Riverside, IL near Chicago.

Illinois' primary Czeck population is located in the towns of Riverside, Brookfield and Berwyn. Unfortunately, many of the older people have lost the language and the traditions. I'm grateful for the links - and updates on festivals!

6. dzurisova

Well that's too bad you've moved. I know the Riverside restaurant, we've eaten there. Well if you go to the festivals, perhaps we might run into each other. We go to many of them. Also, perhaps the older generation has forgotten a lot of the traditions, however, there are a lot of younger Czechs living in Chicago. Many that came to the US in the last 5-10 years.