Honzovské buchty

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by dzurisova, Mar 15, 2010.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Czech Kitchen, on Czech American TV, shows how to make this. However, I'm having much difficulty understanding one ingredient. Please take a few minutes and watch this.

http://www.catvusa.com/index.php?page=new_czech_kitchen

In the filling, I have 1/2 cup poppy seeds, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tbs rum, pinch of sugar and pinch of cinnamon. She speaks of 1/4 cup of grated *something*. It sounds like she is saying spongs. It looks like something brown.

If anyone can figure out that other ingredient, please share :)

Thanks

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

The mysterious ingredient are grated sponge biscuits. I only wonder whether they are common in the US. It is not essential ingredient (neither is the rum), one uses it to thicken the filling, or perhaps to absorb the rum.

[​IMG]

You can try even some different fillings, the most common ones are poppy seeds, sweet cottage cheese (with raisins) and plum jam.

3. dzurisova

Thanks,

They look like something we have here called vanilla wafers. So if I skip that but still use the rum will it be too liquidy to fill the insides?

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I looked in my Czech cookbook and found the dried bread crumbs are sometimes used in filling to thicken them. Another thought, maybe you could use ground "ladyfingers" - they are sort of sweet and have a texture not unlike a sponge although hard.

5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Here's a thought....what about using a thinly sliced pound cake that has been toasted in a toaster or on low in the oven til crisp enough to make crumbs?

6. dzurisova

I used bread crumbs. They worked very well and they turned out nicely. My hubby was happy. :)

7. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

If hubby is happy that's what matters. :D