"How are you?" in Czech...How to use it!!??

Discussion in 'Culture' started by manuolda, May 1, 2008.

1. wer

wer Well-Known Member

In this case, the greeting is a form of excuse for intruding into somebody else's personal space.

2. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

But, intruding personal space or not, don't greet strangers when boarding a tram or bus, no matter how packed (= how much intruding of personal space will happen) it might be. :wink:

By the way, I was rather surprised when reading this article and related comments. I wouldn't have imagined that thanking a bus driver is common in many regions in industrial countries.

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Now isn't that funny? We went to Český raj in July and everyone we passed on the trail said "Dobrý den" to us, first, before we said anything to them, even small children.

4. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

You don't thank bus drivers!? Oh my god!

I kid, it is a personal choice, but almost everyone does it here.
    The thing is usually who ever you are and you have a bus route you take most often and certain times when you generally travel, so yo get quite familiar with the faces of bus drivers, also in Ireland there is a set route and set stops, but the bus driver won't stop anywhere unless someone either asks him, or he can see them standing up. (Or if someone is waiting at the stop!)
    This means the bus driver has done you a favor, (he could have driven on, and some of the grumpy eejits will!) so of course you will thank him.

When you are about to get off the bus, the bus driver will look up politely because he knows he will probably be thanked...
    If I do this in CZ, will he be surprised or annoyed? Or just think, "What an odd friendly girl."

5. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

That really does! Thanks! That's quite nice, I like that, and it's an opportunity to use some Czech, if only four words!

6. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

I say "díky" only when he stop the buss that is leaving the stop (in case i come late).

and also he stops at every stop(except "zastávka na požádání")..

7. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Re Thanking to the bus driver:
    I meant within-city transportation (MHD) and getting on/off at regular stops. Most people here board a bus/tram using the doors in the middle or back (as they don't buy tickets from the driver), and they get out the same way. So you would have to shout so that driver could hear you in his cabin. Hint: Other passengers will appreciate not shouting your thanks at the driver. We shout at the driver only when someone gets stuck in the door. :)