In TABOR on Tuesday 10/30/07 and need HELP!!

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by cyancho, Oct 29, 2007.

1. cyancho

cyancho New Member

Hi all,
    I am new to the boards and need some help. Presently I am in the Czech Republic on a VERY last minute trip. My great grandfather - Josef Rak - was from Tabor, and I'm trying to find anyone who might have the Rak name and live within that area that could talk with me tomorrow (Tuesday).. oh, and who might speak English! ;)

From the information I have, my grandfather emigrated to the US in the late 1800s. HE married my great-grandmother, Josefa (Josephine) Priby (sp) who I BELIEVE was born and raised in Plzen. I know that she had a sister named Jennie Sedivec and did have other relatives that remained in the Czech Republic.

They moved to Chicago, Illnois, before ultimately moving to Interlochen, Michigan. They had six children: Amalie, Jan, Vilhem, Jiri, Louis, and Albina... Jan died in 1926 at the age of 28.

It's been a life-long mission to track down my family roots, and I am fortunate enough to be here in the Czech Republic and able to squeeze in a trip to Tabor. WE only have a few hours Tuesday - we leave early Wednesday 10/31/07, so I would welcome any help or suggestions on how I could track down families with the Rak name who live in Tabor.

Is there a government/census/information office within Tabor that would have records I could look at?? ANY help would be appreciated!! You can respond to this message.. I will be checking the boards periodically before leaving on a train from Prague in the morning. I'd love to have some sort of information so I know where to look! :)

Thank you so much!
    Carol

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Rak in Tábor phone dictionary