It's wickedly hot!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Irena M, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I agree
    Probably true--I can't find anything conclusive on that. It stands to reason that the diffusivity of water vapor should increase with temperature, and therefore warmer air should dissipate moisture more quickly.

It would depend on the direction of the wind on the days in question, but typically I would agree that the humidity on Sněžka is higher, spoken purely from personal experience. The area of Yosemite tends to be rather dry, particularly as compared to the Czech Republic in general.

There are no obstacles between the Pacific and Mammoth either (not that I'm aware of, at least), and the Pacific is much closer to Mammoth than the North Sea to Sněžka. I would guess that the direction the wind was blowing from would be the main source of any difference in humidity (air temperature and amount of sunshine along the path of the air mass would also contribute).

An interesting factoid, to be sure, but not really relevant to this discussion, given that we have already established temperatures in both places. As far as I can tell from the link you provided, the Köppen climate classification only deals with absolute air temperature, rather than apparent temperature.

If we had the exact dates, yes, it might be possible to get that info from an almanac for the area of Mammoth as well.

My naive guess, having not been either place on these days, is that probably both humidity and relative sunshine played a role in the large discrepancy in apparent temperature.

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

First of all, the classification is based on average numbers, that means it deals with climate, not with weather.

You can hardly find more exact data than this day-by-day history for Sněžka. Some summarized graphs are here, for instance, but you can google a lot of other summaries. The only you need to know is that the Sněžka weather station is not Czech but Polish.

When I read this again, I have to point out that this principle doesn't apply for Krkonoše. This area is known for frequent inversions.

3. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

You have to be kidding...is 'diffusivity' really a word?

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering how many pages a forum about the weather can really last. :D

Usually when I say "Hows the weather?" The other person says good or bad and that the end of topic. :wink:

5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

You know I was just making a comment and we're now on page 3. :lol:

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Diffusivity on Merriam-Webster.

It's also used in technical English to describe coefficients in mathematical equations of diffusion. :)

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

In fact, weather small talk has very important social function ;)

Even people who don't know each other and haven't any common interests, they can talk about weather :)

8. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Diffusivity...guess that is one of those words used in certain fields. I can's think of when I would ever use it though.
    But it makes sense....ablitity of something to diffuse....scientists, chemists, and weather people probably know it.

Yea, and weather is a common interest of everybody...something we can all mutually complain about.

9. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Hang on. I remember being told when I first came to Prague that it's only the British who go on about the weather and that the Czechs hardly mention it. Having said that, I must say I never saw as many newspaper articles about the weather in the UK as I do here!