Just curious - internet connections in Cz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by shawn, Jul 28, 2004.

1. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, I just finished a pretty 'fat' Flash site for a Czech friend. She's there now visiting, and she said that, largely, it's way too slow to be useful. So...I'll obviously have to make her another site for dial-up individuals.

In general, out of curiosity, what type of connection is there in the average internet-capable household in CR? Dial-up/cable/etc.

Thanks very much:)

Shawn

2. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

I can answer your question only as far as xDSL connections go.

900 users -- April 2003
    8,270 -- July 2003
    15,000 -- January 2004
    17,000 -- February 2004
    30,000 -- June 2004 (2,340,699 Canada, 10,584,281 USA, 528,000 Australia, 11,196,830 Japan, 13,995,000 China)

There are 3,521,000 potentional dial-up users as this is the number of land lines in the CR. (dunno what the dial-up reality is) ADSL is booming and the most desired, but CABLE is also a good alternative to sluggish dial-ups. I haven`t heard of FTTH.

Karel :D

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Dial up is still the most cheap, and sometimes only possibility. ADSL is good, but still a bit expensive concerning the speed and data transfer limits. What more, many phone lines are still unable to work with xDSL technology (mine being one of them :( ).

The wireless connections seem to be quite popular, especially Wi-Fi these days, and of course the microwaves. Cable is far the best choice, fast and quite cheap, but available in even less places than xDSL.

As for the bitrate, most Czech Internet connections do not exceed 64 kbps.