Learning Czech

Discussion in 'General Language' started by lukebarker, May 12, 2005.

1. lukebarker

lukebarker Member

I am moving to the Czech Republic in 6 weeks. I will be in Prague initially, but would like to move out of the city later on. I don't speak much czech at all, but am determined to learn. I am sure that the longer I am in an area where little in english is spoeken the faster I will learn the language. About how long does it take the average person to learn the czech language well enough to communicate without problems by living in an area where they are forced to learn? Any info would be great. Thanks

2. AJB

AJB New Member

Hi Luke,

Czech is a tough language to learn from scratch. I was born to Czech parents, but lost the ability to speak Czech fluently once I went to school here in the US and concentrated mostly on English. The thing is with Czech, in a lot of instances there are many ways of saying just one word depending on variables such as gender of a person spoken about, more than one (plural), whether you want to sound formal or endearing etc. But you are right, once you are there and it is around you all the time, you will eventually get more attuned to these variations, and you will pick up the Czech language! How long for the average person? Sorry, that all depends on the person. With your determination, probably shorter for you than most. Do you have a Czech background? Have you listened in on Czech conversations? Czech's are quite passionate about what they think and feel. You are very fortunate to have an opportunity to go live in Prague, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. You may already be doing this, but have you looked into a language program to help you get the basics before you go? I did a quick search online and two programs look pretty good: Unforgettable Languages & The Pimsleur Approach.
    I wish you the best in your travels and in your new home in beautiful Czech Republic.
    Andrea

3. lukebarker

lukebarker Member

Andrea,

Thanks so much for your reply, it was very helpful. I will definately check out the sites you had recommended. I am very excited about moving to Prague I haved lived in other places in europe before but have heard such great things about Prague and CR. Where in the US did you study?

4. AJB

AJB New Member

Dear Luke,

I actually was born here in the US in 1972. My parents were new immigrants here not knowing English, so my first language was Czech. Unfortunately, in the 70's, pediatricians encouraged foreign speaking parents to have their children stick with primarily English once the children went to school. Sadly, my parents listened to this advice thinking it was "for the best". I was always listening to Czech being spoken around me so I can understand it to this day. But I was not encouraged to participate speaking in Czech, thus losing the ability. I can speak just basic phrases only. It is frustrating because I have wonderful Czech friends, and I can't jump in and speak the language with them, but I am also determined to learn/relearn. In your case, in one years time you will be well on your way to fluency! That is so great.
    Andrea

5. lukebarker

lukebarker Member

Andrea,

I am planning on living in CR for at least one year so hopefully I will be able to pick up the language well enough in that time. When I get back, if I ever do :D I am going to try to find some other people who speak the language to keep my Czech from getting rusty. Thanks so much for all your help.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Andrea, even more unfortunately, they still encourage this. This is one more reason why most Americans speak only one language.

7. CzechLearners

CzechLearners Member

ahoj,
    we think one of the best ways to learn a language is listening to people talk.
    that's how we've learnt English: by listening people talk in TV comedy sitcoms.
    unfortunatedly, there's no Czech sitcom channel in our cable TV.
    but we think that it is good learning in the internet: that's how we've learnt basic Arabic. the only problem is listening.

8. strider

strider New Member

Luke,
    I was just in the czech a few weeks ago for work with a missions team. If you have time I would suggest going to Brno. It is a wonderful city. I stayed in a suburb called Lesna at a sports facility called Majak (Mayak). The people there were great. I hope you enjoy your stay in the Czech it is a beautiful country.
    In Christ,
    Strider