Maso CZ->EN

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by rfp, Apr 8, 2007.

1. rfp

rfp Active Member

Hi all, Hesky Veliconoce.

Does anyone know what "Orech" means? In terms of meat. I can't find in my dictionary, is it possibly short for something?

And.. are there equivalent terms in czech for animal bones, for example the pelvic bone is called the aitch bone and the spine is the chine bone. so to chine is to saw through the spine.

I was trying to ask my butcher to remove the pelvic bone from a leg of lamb and he hadn't the faintest idea what I was trying to say!

It can be pretty funny trying to buy meat in another language when you suddenly realise that, usually meat in your own language is not refered to as a muscle (obviously the "loins" break this rule!) and you have no idea what the real name of a particular cut or joint is. Anyone know what best end is? or topside? See? ;)

Have a nice evening,

Rob.

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Ořech (Nut) - look here: http://www.hovezimaso.cz/skot/?page=vyuziti-masa

[​IMG]

I believe, that pelvic bone is pánev and spine is páteř or hřbet, but I'm not sure.

3. rfp

rfp Active Member

That's great, eso, thanks very much

However, I think this makes my point, I don't know of a cut called the "nut" in english :) Thanks for the picture and link.

The names of the cuts in english are below
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef

I must say, I didn't even know there was such difference in the way the english and americans divide an animal.

I know panev (basin) is the correct term for the pelvis in humans I just wondered if there were special euphamistic terms to refer to amimal bones or muscles in czech. (There are words for everything else!) Definitely in english, people seem to prefer to call the cuts and bones something other than strictly their anatomical names, perhaps not to be remined that they are eating an animal?

I guess "Nut" is an example of what i'm talking about, just wondered if there were other's.

Cheers,

Rob.

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear what Glenn in Florida has to say on this one! :lol:

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

mountain oysters

6. doman

doman Well-Known Member

I know only sea oysters ! I've eaten them :D, but I don't have any image about mountain oysters...Could they be eaten ? :D :D

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Thanks, Glenn! You made my day (again)!! :lol: