Meeting boyfriend's family

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Priya, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Priya

Priya New Member

Hi All!!

I am an Indian and will be meeting my Czech boyfriend's family this Christmas for the first time. I have read earlier posts and have a fair idea about presents etc. I have also been learning Czech for a couple of months and can speak few sentences with appropriate pronunciation (even the most dreaded ř...Yayyyy)

I want to ask what it is like staying with a Czech family. Am I expected to help with the routine household chores? Can someone share what to do/expect at the Christmas dinner? I have never celebrated Christmas simply 'coz I am a Hindu. Any insights about appropriate conduct/decorum will be immensely helpful. I really want to be liked!!

Priya

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

नमस्ते

There is no strict routine for christmas celebration, this depends on the family and varies house from house. Ask your boyfriend for particular customs in his family.

In my family Christmas dinner is one of not many ocasions in the year when we all dress up, have some decorations around, there is a candle in the middle of the table, we eat fried carp and then we go together to the tree to open gifts...

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

One tip for you - don't scream when you walk in the bathroom and see a large carp floating in the tub. :)

4. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

my residual dyslexia made that sentence quite shocking!

Hee hee, funny how none of the Czech people mentioned this! This always happens to me in class... people ask me..
    how do you celebrate easter?
    oh we don't really do anything special..
    Don't you hide eggs and eat chocolate rabbits?
    Oh yeah! I suppose that is odd now that you mention it...

5. Priya

Priya New Member

Hi! Thank you all so much for the inputs.

But hey, floating carps in the tub?!?!?!?!

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

7. Lorelai

Lorelai Member

So, the carp swims around in the tub? For how many days? Where do people shower during this time?

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It's for few days. Before Christmas, there are live carp vendors all over the streets. But nowadays, many people just let vendor to kill carp on the spot and they put it in the fridge at home. (or they don't eat carp at all)

They don't :)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but I think this "tub" thing is from ages where even carps was hard to get before christmas, and people did not have freezers, so people just bought it 2 weeks before christmas to be sure they have one, and then only way to keep it fresh was keeping it alive.