Messages inside Name Day cards

Discussion in 'Culture' started by HampshireLad, Nov 13, 2005.

1. HampshireLad

HampshireLad Active Member

Ahoj all,

I'm hand-making a name day card for my Czech friend and thanks to myczechrepublic.com I now know all about the cultural aspects.

I'm putting "Vše nejlepší k svátku" on the front, but what I'm not clear about is the kind of message to put inside. I have to admit I'm crazy about her but I know it'll never be anything more than a friendship :(, so I need to be affectionate but not over-the-top (OTT).

If you have any suggestions these would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks ! Peter

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Peter,

Although a nameday has less significance than a birthday, you can pretty much use the same message that you would use on a birthday card, maybe just shortening it a little.

I'm not sure if you want to write your message in English or Czech. If you would like to have it in Czech, it may be best if you came up with your own English text that you would use on a birthday card, posted it in the Vocabulary & Translation Help forum and had it translated by someone. If you mention that the message is for a nameday, the person translating it can use their judgment and let you know if the message is appropriate for the occasion.

Good luck,

Dana

3. HampshireLad

HampshireLad Active Member

Hi Dana, Thanks for that - As this is the first one I've ever done I've decided to compromise by having the front in Czech and a special message inside in English :D I'll see what the reaction is and take it from there...

Best wishes, Peter