Need translation please - "I miss you"

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by jdwalker, Mar 28, 2004.

1. jdwalker

jdwalker Member

Thanks to the (United States) Army Reserve, I'm currently in Arizona and had to leave my czech wife behind in Virginia. I'd like to send her flowers at work, and put "I miss you" on the card in Czech. How does one say "I miss you?"

Thanks again.
    J.D.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Stýská se mi po tobě.

3. jdwalker

jdwalker Member

Dzekuji Dano,

Could I also say Chbyĕš mi velice moc?

4. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I would recommend "Velice mi chybíš" or "Hrozně / strašně moc mi chybíš" (I miss you terribly). The combination "Velice moc" does not look nice to me :)

Be careful with the Czech word order, it is a bit different from English.

P.S. If you write that on a card, you might use a capital letter in the equivalents of You, such as Tobě, Ty, Tebe etc.

5. jdwalker

jdwalker Member

Stýska se mi po Tobě
    Strašně moc mi chybíš

Ok, I put the above two phrases on the card. Looking up the individual words on the phrase Dana gave me leads me to believe it's more like "I'm lonely for you" which is basically the same idea.....but even if I'm saying the same thing twice, it can't hurt..especially when it's accompanied by a dozen roses, right? :)

6. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Right :)

Just be careful, some people in CZ consider even number of flowers to be unlucky, or reserved for funeral occasions. I never understood why...
    But I think a dozen of roses will be allright :)

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

You wouldn't really want to translate "Stýská se mi po tobě" literally. It is a common Czech phrase for "I miss you", the same as "Chybíš mi". The reason I didn't offer multiple phrases is because I didn't want to make things complicated and confuse you will several different expressions that essentially mean the same thing. What you wrote on the card is good. Your wife will like it. :)

8. jdwalker

jdwalker Member

Well yes, I remember her telling me that, but the flowers are scheduled to be delivered on April 1st, and that's the anniversary of the day we met....she and I consider ourselves (now) to have been together since then...and that's 14 years (12.5 of those married)...

So I'd say she's been with me long enough to understand the American custom when a man sends his wife a dozen roses :)

9. jdwalker

jdwalker Member

It's ok Dana, I am learning Czech, and I soak up information like a sponge when I'm motivated to do so...

I just wish I had more motivation earlier...I would have loved to be able to converse with my mother-in-law in Czech. We were able to speak because I speak fluent German, and so did she...but she died last March...

10. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear J.D....

11. jdwalker

jdwalker Member

Dzekuji, Dano,

I think it was for the best though....she was in poor health for a long time, and she was almost 85 when she died. We think she was hanging on because she was living with us in the States at the time...and when she was brought back to Prague and placed in a retirement home in Sedlčany, it was like she felt she was finally allowed to die.