New Resources

Discussion in 'General Language' started by GlennInFlorida, Feb 9, 2006.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I have just received the new "Pimsleur Comprehensive Czech" course. It has 16 CD's with 30 half hour lessons and a reading overview. It is a bit pricey - over 200USD, but if it is as good as its introductory 10 lesson predecessor, it may be worth it. I also purchased "Czech Step By Step" by Lída Holá (along with its workbook). I will keep you all posted on my impressions of the material.

2. calculations

calculations Active Member

wow was the 200 including the $50 rebate from buying the basic set?

>< nevermind haha i was thinking of the conversational

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

The basic 10 lesson course lists with Pimsleur at 110USD (on sale for 95USD) but can be had for much less on the Net. The Comprehensive 30 lesson course lists for 345USD on Amazon but is available for 217USD - I haven't run across any other offerings for the Comprehensive course on the Net.

As I said, it is pricey. However, if you consider what you would end up paying for 16 music CD's, it isn't too bad. I was concerned that the first 10 lessons in the Comprehensive course would duplicate the basic course but the lessons, although similar, are not the same. The printed material with both courses follows the same format - just a list of words (no definitions or usage) to read and repeat along with the audio source. I rely on other printed material for real information about the language. I am pleased with opportunity that the Pimsleur courses offer for hearing and repeating spoken Czech - seems to be a good way to build coversational language.

I am very pleased with the "Czech Step by Step" book. It is very clear and well organized. Only wish I had a Czech teacher to go along with it - it would be an excellent classroom source. I also have "Teach Yourself Czech", "Colloquial Czech", "In-Flight Czech", a couple of dictionaries, and half a dozen guide and phrase books. I read Czech newspapers on-line every day (as well as I can - I'm getting pretty good at headlines) with the aid of Slovnik.cz on-line translation dictionary and frequently watch Czech TV on the Net. I can speak Czech now about as well as a three year old Czech child - I will keep trying.

4. Weezi

Weezi Member

HI, Glenninflorida..i am using the Czech- step by step with my tutour and quite like it as well. There is a new (yellow) 2005 version which is much better then the older one ( the white one)...after a year and a half i hate to admit i am only on "lekce pet"!..there is a lot of info in one chapter.
    Good luck with your studies! :)