numbers on czech

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by judi, Aug 25, 2004.

1. judi

judi Active Member

if it's not too much to ask,
    I would like to know numbers on czech and at what times they're changing?

for a beginning 1-10

thanks

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

You can learn the spelling and pronunciation of the Czech numbers on the Local Lingo Czech Numbers page. Both cardinal and ordinal numbers are here. Note that only the numbers 1 and 2 change according to gender. As for declenations, I think the following are correct:

One:
    jeden/jedna/jedno (nom.), jednoho/jedné/jednoho (gen.), jednomu/jedné/jednomu(dat.), jeden(jednoho--masc. animate)/jednu/jedno (acc.), jednom/jedné/ jednom(loc.), jedním/jednou/jedním (instr.)

Two:
    dva(masc)/dvě(fem/neut), dvou, dvěma, dva/dvě, dvou, dvěma

Three:
    tři, tří, třem, tři, třech, třemi

Four:
    čtyři, čtyř, čtyřem, čtyři, čtyřech, čtyřmi

For (almost) everything else, just add "i" in the genitive, dative, locative, and instrumental cases (some require stem changes, e.g. "devíti", and "desíti"--although I've also seen "deseti"). "Sto" (one hundred) declines like "město" (see Local Lingo Neuter Noun Declension) and "tisíc" like "stroj" (see Local Lingo Masculine Noun Declension). Ordinals decline just like the hard/soft adjectives, depending on which category they fall into.

There is also a set of "generic" numbers, that is counting the number of types of something: jedny (jedni--masculine animate, jedna--neuter), dvoje, troje, čtvery, patery, šestery, sedmery, osmery, devatery, desatery, ... These are also used for counting objects that are normally given in the plural (pluralia tantum), e.g. čtvery bryle (four pairs of eyeglasses), dvoje dveře (two sets of doors), or other collective nouns, e.g. troje mouky (three packages of flour).

And it you're not completely confused yet, there is also a special category for noun forms of the numbers as in "the number one tram," "I got a 'C' (three) on the exam," or just in a general reference to the numeral itself. Here they are: jednička, dvojka, trojka, čtverka/čtyřka, pětka, šestka, sedmička, osmička, devítka, desítka.

3. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Furthermore, not only is the number osm pronounced osum, some speakers place "v" before "o". So in reality, it is pronounced "vosum". This corruption occurs in many other words beginning with "o".

oči becomes voči = eyes
    ohrada - vohrada = fence, enclosure
    okno - vokno = window
    okoun - vokoun = perch (fish)
    obloha - vobloha = sky

Not necessarily important if you study for academic purposes, but fairly common in the street.

Karel

4. judi

judi Active Member

I like it! it's almost like croatian although with tri and ctyri I had problem pronounce it,
    does some of you have paltalk so we can talk and practice if you have time?

5. Petusek

Petusek New Member

I have to warn everyone, as Karel is absolutely wrong! This -v- is a matter of dialects! Yes, it is, indeed, very common in colloquial Czech, but only in the western part of the Czech Republic, which is called Bohemia (whereas the rest of it is called Moravia and Silesia [Morava a Slezsko]).

Its function is quite similar to the function of the linking-r in English (hiatus), however, if you really wanna sound Czech (no matter which of the several Czech dialects you choose), there are much more differences between the literary and colloquial language. If you adopted the linkin-v pronunciation, you'd also have to adopt much more Bohemian features to sound normal or real, or simply "Czech", since the izolated use of this special feature does sound totally weird!

It is ok to learn literary Czech, as it sounds pretty neutral both in the West and the East, although, for instance, in the streets of Prague, it might sound a little academic. Local pronunciation can always be adopted, as soon as you get into contact with local people, so, don't worry about it too much.

To those, who are interested in these (definitely important, because there is a noticeable rivality between the western and eastern part of CR, especially between Prague in Bohemia, being the largest and capital city, and Brno in Moravia, being the second biggest city) differences and need some help, feel free to contact me at petusek@tiscali.cz, it is enough to say where you're staying, and I'll give you some advice, ok?

6. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

QED

NB You`d better learn something about quantifiers.

KISS (Keep It Short and Simple)

7. Petusek

Petusek New Member

I'm sorry if it sounded offensive, it wasn't meant to be :)

8. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Your post isn`t offensive. Even if it were I`ve developed quite a thick skin over the last decade. No worries.

Just don`t tell people that they are absolutely wrong when you are in effect not contradicting but only adding a more specific piece of information to someone else`s post. If someone`s plain wrong it means that there`s no truth whatsoever in what they have written. Think twice before you go absolute again.

Make my day!

9. Acheron

Acheron Active Member

is that you on the foto ?

10. Petusek

Petusek New Member

Oh, you're right. (Did I really use "absolutely"?) Perhaps, I wanted to express a higher level of disagreement (whence the "warning" :)), and (as I sometimes do, unfortunately) I misused the adverb a little. Thanks for correcting my English (although, this seems to be a matter of logic rather than English, doesn't it?), I, being a Czech, am always grateful for that.

11. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hi Acheron,

The female in my avatar isn`t me. I`m a male (and a straight one :D ). But let`s stay focused on the topic as the house rules dictate. Thanks for your interest! :D

Hi Petusek,

It`s all good. I think that logic and language go hand in hand--unless you`re a fuzzy logic physicist for whom a spade is not a spade--but no harm done. Mistakes are unavoidable.

Karel