? on Getting Czech Citizenship again

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Irena M, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. Irena M

    Irena M Well-Known Member

    I was born in Prague. My parents and I left for the US during the upheaval in 1968.
    I am a US citizen now, but would like to get my Czech citizenship back.

    My daughter is teaching in Japan and would like to go to school in Australia to finish her International Studies. It would be easier for her if she had a Dual citizenship passport or EU passport.

    If she only has a US passport she can stay for 6 months. Her studies would take one year.

    What would it take for me and my daughter to get Czech passports or EU passports without giving up our US passports?
  2. Irena M

    Irena M Well-Known Member

  3. meluzina

    meluzina Well-Known Member

    you should contact the czech embassy - they also have information posted on their webpages - i believe that as far as you are concerned, it shouldn't be a problem - in your daughter's case i am not sure - my cousin managed to obtain a czech passport in addition to her u.s. one, but her sons were told that they would have to choose between u.s. and czech citizenship (this was by the consulate on the east coast and then by czech authroties in prague) - from what i have looked at, a new version of the citizenship law shoud be submitted for review in may 2009 - which would make things easier
  4. Polednikova

    Polednikova Well-Known Member

    You beat me to it. I was just going to say that this sounds like one for Mel! :)
  5. Irena M

    Irena M Well-Known Member

    Thank you Mel!
    I'll give the Czech Embassy in Los Angeles a call.
  6. meluzina

    meluzina Well-Known Member

    i am by no means an "authority" on the subject - just in my personal battle i have read a bit on it - at this point, i am preparing myself to approach the authorities here one more time - as a matter of principle more than anything else - the current laws are discriminatory in my humble laic opinion - although both of my parents were czechoslovak citizens prior to 1948, they were supposedly stripped of that citizenship after they left - and they were documented as stateless in the united states - my father ended up taking u.s. citizenship - my mother didn't - post 1989, my mother applied for a czech passport - it took four years for her to get it - she tried it personally in prague, only to be told "madame, it won't be that easy - we do know everything about you" - she ended up going through the consulate in l.a. and, other than being lengthy, they did the job well

    in my quest, i have been told by various offices that, if my father were still alive, something could be done for me - i have also been told that my mother actually had no right to a czech passport after all (that one doesn't make sense - it also seemed to play no role in the fact that i actually had to go through the formality of inheritance proceedings in the czech rep when she died - try proving that someone doesn't own any property here) - i have also found out that, were i five years younger, it wouldn't be a problem - or if my father had taken any citizenship other than u.s. it also wouldn't be a problem - i know of cases when siblings (one born pre-1969 and one in 1969 - with the same parents) - and one sibling does have the right to czech citizenship andf the elder one doesn't

    it does depend who you talk to - so don't give up...
  7. Irena M

    Irena M Well-Known Member

    My mother traveled to Prague every year on vacation and withdrew part of her pension from a Czech bank when she got there every year, as it accumulated. I'm hoping that will help.
    Thank you for your help.
  8. magan

    magan Well-Known Member

    If I am not mistaken, in order to get Obcansky prukaz, passport and part of the pension in CR, you have to LIVE in CR i.e. to have not only the citizeship, but permanent residence/Czech address. It means that officially you have to spend most of the time in CR - less in other country.

    Re pension: It is possible to get Czech part of the pension (% based on your working/tax paying years in CR+), but it would be going to your residence country. Those (US+CR) pensions are administratively connected (special agreement between countries) . In order to get that (tiny) pension you have to have number of years (worked) combined with USA/Canada etc. thus calculation/approval is going through pension board of both countries.
  9. Irena M

    Irena M Well-Known Member

    I decided not to pursue this. You are right. I would have to have a Czech residence. Thank you for your reply magan.

Share This Page