Outdoor markets

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by sussy, Jun 9, 2005.

1. sussy

sussy Active Member

I was wondering if they are any nice outdoor markets in Prague that sell fresh fruits and vegetables. I love the market atmosphere and would love to incorporate it into my weekly shopping routine.

2. Karel Fous

Karel Fous Well-Known Member

Some boothes are at Havelský trh, but among vegetables and fruits you'll find also crystal, wodden toys and similar rubbish.
    Havelský trh is at line Můstek (bottom part of Wenceslaw square) to Staroměstské náměstí (Old Town square).
    Karel :)

3. sussy

sussy Active Member

How often does the market take place?

4. Karel Fous

Karel Fous Well-Known Member

Every day. Even in weekend, too. It's at tourist zone at centre of Praha.

5. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Havelsky trh is rather expensive due to location.

Metro Station PANKRAC, Line C is THE place to go. That is entirely place locals go "to market". It is very large market and the best in Prague. Mush of the fruit and vegetables are Czech grown and superior quality to what you get in grocery stores. Health food for good price in one stall. Fresh flowers, bedding. There is also lot of Vietnamese vendors selling other stuff (underwear, t-shirt, shoes, nick-knacks etc. There is also stall inside with bakery goods and another with asian food.

Easy to get to, you just take escallator up and you are there.

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention that they close early evening and they are closed on weekends.

7. sussy

sussy Active Member

I survive off of fruits and vegetables so it's great to hear I can find good quality produce. I was told that 20 years ago you weren't able to find vegetables at all in CZ. I found that rather odd.

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Whoever told you that, must have been either sitting in a hotel room all the time or visiting some other CZ :roll: .

9. sussy

sussy Active Member

It was actually a Czech man that I met who told me that. He actually left the country back in the late 60's, so maybe he doesn't remember eating many vegetables, so he equates it with there being none available. I know know. Like I said, it seems rather odd.

10. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I also left in 60's, but but very young and Czech thus didn't care for vegetable. As you can see from traditional recipes, cousine is based on local seasonal vegetables, which used to be mostly potatoes, cabbage, carots, onions, celeriac etc.

At those times Czechs didn't care for vegetables/salads much and meals were put together accordingly/to THEIR liking i.e. NOT meat, potato and vegetables as in US. It was more like in Britain those days.

I have visited CR before 1980 and I do have to say that there wasn't much choice as someone from West would be hoping for. However, we were on vacation so were interested only in "Czech" meals not what we usually eat at home.

When we arrived soon after revolution (early 1980) as volunteers to stay for longer time, I was incredibly depressed by the lack of anything but bad quality of root vegetable/cabbage and some frozen stuff. Believe me, it was not place for Vegetarian or anyone who likes to eat "healthy"(by Western standarts!!). This time it mattered as we were actualy living there.

Then slowly as private enterprise took off, businesses were established to bring in fruit and vegetable which weres not locally grown. Since then there is absolutely no problem to get anything and choice in large supermarkets is large.

11. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Sussy:

I assume that Magan is refering you to the outdoor market at Vitezne nam (that is where the Metro C ends). However, there are also two (2) large fresh from the farm vegetable/fuit stands down the street -- north on Jugoslavskych Partizanu at the turnaround circle of trams #20&#25 (about 800m from the Vitezne nam ), operated by Czechs and reasonable prices.

Viktor

12. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Yes Victor, there is market too, but mostly clothes (by Vietnamese) it is end of Metro C called Dejvicka. The biggest outdoor fruit and vegetable market is on PANKRAC metro C stop. You just come upstairs on right side. It is rught there. Try it, you will like it. It is my favourite!

Short walk (you can see it from upstairs of the station) is also huge Bauhaus store with tools, garden stuff, lighting fictures, repair/paint etc.

13. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

I think that market in PANKRAC is open on Saturdays morning.

14. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Business hours on Saturday in the Czech Republic seem to be fairly standard from 9:00 to 11:00AM. So if you want a Pariska or Trubicka for breakfast in the mornng, you have to buy it on Friday afternoon. However, they have a habit of evaporating during the night somehow..

Viktor

15. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

There is a fruit and vegetable outdoor market in a street of the old town. Just walk there from Wenceslas square, you can't miss it. The produce are fresh and good, and their prices are displayed on slates.

16. sussy

sussy Active Member

Thanks for your help! I am finally in Prague and as it turns out, I am a 5 minute walk to Pankrač station. I saw the market this morning but did not have time to stop. I will try to visit it early tomorrow morning.

17. magan

magan Well-Known Member

GREAT! Enjoy. I will be there in September (for three months).

18. benpfell

benpfell New Member

Is there any open markets that have good selections of sausages, cheese, and other stuff besides fruit