Phyllo dough in Czech?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Sisibel, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Sisibel

Sisibel Member

Hi!

I would like to cook some B'steeyas, but i need sheets of phyllo (fillo) dough like this one: :(

Fillo is a paper-thin sheet of dough that is easily layered, formed and baked into delightfully crunchy, savory dishes and delectably flaky sweet desserts. Fillo (or “phyllo”) actually means ”leaf” in Greek. The flaky, flavorful, layered sheets of tissue-thin pastry are best known for use in traditional Greek and Mediterranean dishes such as baklava, spanakopita and apple strudel. But light, elegant fillo adds a sophisticated taste and texture to almost any dish you can imagine – from appetizers and snacks to main dishes and desserts. ( www.athens.com )

I will appreciate your help! :)

thanks...

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Probably listové těsto in Czech (?)
    [​IMG]

3. Sisibel

Sisibel Member

thanks for your answer,

but listové těsto still looks thicker than the phyllo sheets :(

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

"Listové těsto" is not the same as "filo". I have found this: filo těsto se dá koupit v obchůdku (majitel konkurnenční taverny Olympos) v Radhošťské ulici (na objednávku nebo musíte mít zrovna štěstí) = you may buy it in a small shop in Radhošťská street (order or have luck), and also Dnes se toto Filo těsto dostane koupit téměř v každém supermarketu = Today you can buy it almost in any supermarket.
    To be honest, I've heard about it for the first time today 8)

5. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Karel is right. I've never seen filo pastry in Prague. I wouldn't even say that listove testo is exactly the same as UK puff pastry, which is what I think it's supposed to be.

But filo is brilliant for apple strudel so I might go on a hunt for it as well!

6. maxicek

maxicek Member

I would say that it's most definitely not available in every supermarket - phyllo/filo is very very very very thin sheets of dough, has nothing to do with listove testo (aside from the fact that both are sheets of dough)...the Greek taverna link is probably the best bet...[/i]

7. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I saw it in Billa a few weeks ago. Although, every Billa is different, so it isn't too much help. I believe it was imported from Austria.

8. maxicek

maxicek Member

AFAIK, Billa carries fresh pizza dough, fresh croissant dough (both Austrian), and fresh listove testo (both the Austrian brand and Czech-made). I haven't seen phyllo at either of the two Billas I frequent (Pruhonice/Cestlice and Ricany). I'm way happy to be proven wrong, though :)

9. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I'll double check the next time I go.

10. Sisibel

Sisibel Member

Hi! :)

I have to tell you that I cooked my B'steeyas using the listové těsto, but I had to work a lot rolling the dough until I got the "phyllo" thickness.

Because I live at Olomouc, and can't try to get the phyllo dough at the Greek taverna, :( until my next trip to Prague ( hope soon :) )

We have BILLA here, so I will look again there and let you know...

By the way, the B'steeyas were really good, the only difference was that I have to work extra, :wink: