Please translate "I like you. You're beautiful" 4

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by johnw, Apr 19, 2008.

1. johnw

johnw New Member

Please translate "I like you. You're beautiful" 4

Hi. I really like a girl from the Czech Republic. Would someone please help me. I want to pretend I've just learnt to say 'Good morning, how are you' and then say it to her in Czech, but actually I want to say:

"I like you. You're beautiful. Go out with me tonight?"

And then I want to pretend I think she should respond 'It's a lovely morning. I'm well thanks', but actually I want to say in Czech:

"I would love to go out with you"

What's the best way to translate this as closely as possible to the English? Can you write it in Czech and then phonetically- I have no idea how to pronounce the words if they're just in Czech!

Thank you so much to anyone who helps! I'll happily help with English if you want!

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Miluji tě is "I love you" not "I like you". Big difference to English speakers.

4. Karel_lerak

You are right, better translation would be
    Líbíš se mi...

5. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

This is a genuine question for my own improvement of the language and not a comment on what has been suggested but in these circumstances would it be more common in Czech to use the word "nadherna" rather than "krasna"?

Is "nadherna" regarded as a higher compliment?

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Could not be said better. I guess it is similar with "beautiful" and "pretty" in english.

7. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

Thank you. Looks like I have been undervaluing someone for a long time!!

8. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

True but, Czechs don't throw the word "love" around like we do - saying "I love hamburgers" and translating it directly into Czech could conjure up some very odd images in the mind of a Czech. :wink:
    We often say "I love you" when what we really mean is "I like you a lot".

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Glenn, I must disagree - I guess we use the word "love" more often saying things about food, then about people.

Miluju hamburgry (OK, not good example), but Miluju svíčkovou :)

10. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I stand corrected :D

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yet Glenn's comment held fairly true ten, twenty years or so ago. From what I have seen, there has been a trend in the past decade or two to use milovat more commonly. A lot of the Czech grandmas I talked to 12--14 years ago complained very vocally about how this practice demeaned the meaning of the word. When I was in the Czech Republic, I mostly only heard teens and "tweens" using milovat in that context.

12. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I agree that it's not used much for people. Also, when used with people, it has only one meaning. I remember years ago telling my brother-in-law in czech "miluju tě", which the circumstances called for one to tell a family member in English that he/she loves him (a familial love, not sexual love). However, he misunderstood, got upset, and told my husband I was in love with him. :shock: :)

Of course my husband just laughed. He'd lived in America long enough to know what happened. Although my brother-in-law now knows that I love him like my own brother, he's still not comfortable with me telling him so (unless he's drunk) Of course now I know better than to say it Czech. English only! :)

13. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

That' s funny Dzurisova.

That milovat, mít rád, líbit se difference can cause some misunderstanding.

14. Karel_lerak

To say "miluji tě" is very intimate

But:

It's often said ironically:
    "To teda miluju"
    in case you are forced to do something unpleasant.

"Svýho šéfa přímo miluju"

if you dislike your chief 8)

or, something different:

"To teda žeru"
    with some admiration in voice 8) if you like something