plz guide me

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by EHSAN, Dec 25, 2007.

1. EHSAN

EHSAN Member

hi friends.
    as in my previous post i told that im a foreigner who got admission in technical university of liberic czhec republic. i want to get a guidence from u people that what should me do. i got admission in masters in textile engineering .the duration of my course is 2 years . i got 2 options . one is that if i study my course in english language that is of 2 year and per year cost of study is 4000 us dollars. 2nd option is offered to me is to learn czhec language for one year that costs 2300 us dollars and the remaing 2 years of my course in czhec language which is r free of cost .so is it convinient for me to learn czech language first or me should directly take admission in english study course?
    plz guide me what should me do.
    i really will b thankful to u.

EHSAN

2. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how clever you are with languages. I personally can't imagine that someone could learn enough Czech, or learn it well enough, in one year to be able to take a master's degree course, which will, I assume, include writing a thesis. I've been here 17 years and couldn't possibly imagine writing a thesis in Czech!!

That said, if it's something the university offered you, then they must have some confidence in it, and evidence that it works. Perhaps someone who's "been there, done that" can help out...

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Well it appears that English is also not your first language and you may also have difficulty writing a thesis in English. Therefore, if it's all the same in the language-barrier department, one might choose the cheaper option; not to mention- more fulfilling- since you also get to learn another language.

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

That is a good point - however, he/she has already got the head start in English...

It could be that 'm just projecting my own apprehensions - I'm looking at going back to school and am perusing the Charles University website and quaking in my boots at the thought of doing an advanced university degree in Czech - even though I understand most everything and speak well, the idea of writing a thesis in Czech just fills me with dread!

5. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

It would fill me with dread as well. When I went to college there was a tutoring service where once a paper was written, you could make an appointment with the service and an English major would go over your paper merely helping you with the grammar. Perhaps there is a similar service at your school or nearby.

6. EHSAN

EHSAN Member

hi friends
    thx for ur responces. but i still cant decide what to do. miss dezurisova may b u r right that me should go after a cheaper option and also that i m going to learn another language. english is not my first language but i got my bachelors degree in english language and i did well. though its little to speak coz we speak our native language urdu when we r out of class. but i can read wite and understand it wel. but the problem still exists there. some of the forum members has told me in pvt. that czech language is very difficult one . its not impossible but it is much difficult to learn czhec language so that i can write a thesis in this language. i dont how much difficult it is . according to miss jen its possible cause university management thinks that if someone learns only czech language for the whole years under their guidence the person can b able to continue their studies in this language.
    anywasy still i couldnt decide what to do.
    EHSAN

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I would say stay with English. You have already studied in English and it is much more versatile language than Czech. I am assuming that you are planning on returning to your home country to use your education.

It would be difficult to imagine quality of received degree in Czech, if one was studying Czech language for one year only. You yourself must know how long it took you to learn English to such a degree that you could study in it. Considering that it is still obvious from your written English that it is not "your language", but already quite good, count the years it took you to get to this point. That many years you would need to learn Czech.
    Good luck.

8. BlackBox

BlackBox Active Member

What area are you looking to study in? At least in some subjects I think that it should not be a problem to write a thesis in english, actually they could consider it an advantage.

9. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I want to get my teaching degree. UK does have a pedagogical degree taught in English, but it's not the field I want (I want to be a certified English teacher). I need to look into it some more...

10. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Agree that Czech is a very difficult language but it is not that difficult that Sb. cannot learn it well. Everything is a matter of personal will, motivation and practice.
    Anyhow I remember (I studied economy) my classmated had their thesis translated from English to Czech by a native speaker. So this is also a solution, I believe.
    If some universities will accept thessis in English - I am not sure; personally I doubt it but things have changed since the time I was a student.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess it is even advantage for you to write your thesis in english. We are allowed to write it in english (University of Ostrava), but there are universities, faculties, or just tutor, who force you to write it in english.