Prague Airport Shuttle

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by mick mock, May 28, 2006.

1. mick mock

mick mock Member

Has anyone used the above? As we will have a bit of luggage we thought we would travel with them to get to and from the airport. Their site says they have english speaking drivers and give you a bit of a rundown on the way to the hotel.
    Chris.

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I travel to Prague frequently and always take public transportation because it is so easy and inexpensive. This time I was carrying some heavy load and was in a hurry, so I hoped for easier way to get to my apartment. In front of the airport I was CEDAZ van and guy standing in front of it organizing pasengers. I had two suitcases and one friend who was waiting for me at the airport and paid 480 Kc.

There were three pasanger groups in the wan: three German tourists with suitcases, single woman whose plane was leaving again that night (just in transit to her final destination) and us.

Even though, driver was driving by my address, he was ignoring (without one word reply to me) when I told him that we are there (I SPEAK FLUENT CZECH) and continued on his way elsewere. I live in area everyone in Prague knows and argument that he made mistake or didn't know it is out of question. He drove to furtherst part of Zizkov to deliver foreign tourists to their little very shabby hotel, put their suitcases on the sidewalk and by himself went inside of hotel and stayed there for some time. This is not normal procedure and I suspect that he was discussing some deal for himself with hotel owner. I would not let dog sleep in that place.

In the meantime I started conversation with single woman. She told me that it is her first time in Prague, she has only this day for sightseeing and that she asked to be taken to Old Town as soon as possible, considering time limit she has.This was way way out centre and when driver came back (he didn't speak English) I asked him in Czech where will he take this woman, considering that she asked for centre of the Prague. He shrugged his shoulders without single word. While driving all the way back to my address, which we passed in the first place in centre of OLD TOWN, driver still didn't indicate to this woman that she is at her destination. I had to tell woman to get off where we were getting off and pointed her in direction where to walk. I stayed by the woman, who was getting ready to pay and driver finally started communicating.....telling her that distance to her destination was longer.......so..... I did not have energy to get into arguments with him after long overseas flight and agravation with his services and just told woman to give him 450 Kc agreed on with organizer at the airport and go.

Needless to say, I was even less pleased with the above services when I came home and checked on AAAtaxi website that individual taxi trip would come to less (at most same including tip). Taxis standing in front of the airport are not recommended either - I had another once-in-a-lifetime experience when I was sick and in the hurry to some meeting, grabbed first taxi in front of the airport and later calculated that he charged me almost 2X of regular price ..... This hapenned while I was speaking fluent Czech and making it clear that I am Czech returning from holidays (not money bag).

When friend from overseas was arriving few days later (and planning to use CEDAZ) I rather went to airport and showed her how to take bus/metro to realize how easy and cheap (at most 20 Kc) it is to get to town. With buying Metropass for few days it is not even additional amount added to your total transportation in Prague.

3. mick mock

mick mock Member

Thankyou so much for that Magan. I think I may change my mind about the airport shuttle.

4. praguepivo

praguepivo Member

Hi all, I do not want to get into trouble here for advertising or self promotion but I must clarify something. mick mock asked about Prague Airport Shuttle - I presume he means prague-airport-shuttle.com I do not believe he meant CEDAZ. We are a totally different company, if I just may say have a look at our website and you see why.

5. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Praguepivo: you make a good point. It is a shame that a good company's reputation can be affected by bad publicity caused by bad companies.
    As for the original question, I would think that if you have a lot of luggage, then the Prague airport shuttle may be the answer for you, mick mock.
    If you have only a case or two, then the public transport is the easiest and cheapest option.
    I met friends at the airport last week, and because they only had two cases we went by bus to Dejvicka and then the Metro. But the bus was very full, and it certainly would have been a struggle with a large amount of luggage.

6. mick mock

mick mock Member

Thankyou both for your input. I realised that the Prague Airport Shuttle service was different from the one Magan had her unfortunate run in with. So have changed my mind and gone back to the Prague Airport Shuttle for my transport. We will be leaving really early on the morning of our departure, so it will make it much easier and we won't have to worry about transport. This is fantastic all the wonderful information I am obtaining from this site. Everyone has been so helpful I really appreciate all your comments.

Regards Chris. :D

7. praguepivo

praguepivo Member

Sheesh! My name is Chris too! Is this the Chris thread?

8. mick mock

mick mock Member

Could be Chris. But I am a female Chris. How about you? :shock:

9. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

I am a male Chris! (topher) [How I hate that last part!]

Are you taking an inordinate amount of luggage? My friends took two large suitcases and a travel bag - for three days in Prague!
    My wife and I had two suitcases (smaller ones) and a travel bag for 16 days in CR.
    I think one of our friends' cases was for makeup and the other for clothes!

10. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Czechchris,

you make a good point about luggage, regardless of how you get to and from the airport. In the case of travel luggage, less is definitely more.

On my first trip to Prague (for 10 days), I brought a 26" suitcase, a 22" suitcase, and on overnight bag. Way too much stuff. On my second 12 day trip to Prague, I brought a 22" suitcase and a 19" suitcase. Still too much stuff. For my next trip (another 12 day trip), I plan to have a 19" suitcase and an overnight bag.

The apartment I stay in has a washer (so I don't need essentials for every single day that I will be there) and I have found that I can buy anything I need in Prague. Why bring a lot of extra stuff?

One suggestion, bring (or buy in Prague) a collapsable, nylon duffle bag to bring your extra "stuff" back (I usually fill mine with what would have been my last load of laundry and put more fragile items in a suitcase).

11. praguepivo

praguepivo Member

12. mick mock

mick mock Member

Appreciate all comments. Yes my husband (who is not travelling with me!) said don't take too much as he won't be there to lug it around for me. So I am taking 2 suitcases, one inside the other and only the smaller one will have clothes in it, as the larger one is for all my shopping. I am also taking a backpack and a swimming bag (sb will be for my shopping trips, also empty). I can use the backpack for short trips as we are travelling for two months before we get to Prague. Luckily my lovely husband will be at the airport when I get home to carry all my bags for me!
    Chris :oops:

13. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Less luggage you have, more freedom you will have to get around.

14. mick mock

mick mock Member

Thanks Magan. Hey we are also spending a month in Canada any suggestions on that trip??

15. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I see that things are getting a bit off topic here, which in this case is Prague Airport Shuttle and airport transfers. Please try to keep discussions on topic (the complete guidelines can be found here).

Chris, please post the above question in the Off Topic forum or, if you prefer, send a private message to magan directly. Thanks! :)

Since different forms of Prague airport transportation have been discussed in this thread, I wanted to remind everyone that lots of information on this topic can be found on our Transportation to and from the Prague Airport page.

Dana

16. ms rooti

ms rooti New Member

If you buy the metro card at the airport is there ametro station right there?

17. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

No, there isn't. You can take bus 119 or 100 to the nearest metro station. Please visit our Transportation to and from the Prague Airport page to learn more. By the way, the "metro card" is not just for the metro. It's for all types of public transportation in Prague.

Dana

18. GuyFullaLove

GuyFullaLove Active Member

Just my two cents...

I was picked up at the Airport by an American run car service for 650 CZK (I gave him an extra tip)... From the hotel to the airport, I called AAA Taxi and they quoted 420-450 CZK based on traffic...

I am not sure if the rate FROM the airport is also 420-450 but it is worth a shot...

19. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Yes, it is, assuming that you are/were staying in the center of Prague. Once again, please visit our Transportation to and from the Prague Airport page where this and other questions are answered. :)

20. GuyFullaLove

GuyFullaLove Active Member

Dekuji, Dana... That will teach me in the future to "read" well written information on a good site like yours... and will INSPIRE new visitors of Prague to to "read" well written information on your good sites...