Prague for the first time

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shasha37, Feb 12, 2007.

1. shasha37

shasha37 New Member

Hello,
    I am traveling to Prague for the first time this June. I will have four days. We will definately see the most important sights but would like some insider information. Like hotels, restaurants that are no so touristy. We like to explore by foot and by car. We are going to book a 4 to 5 star hotel but would like one that is best situated by foot to see the main sights.
    Can you make recomendations. Where would you take a guest visiting for the first time that you wouldn't read about in a travel book.
    What about shopping. What should we bring back to Dallas Texas.
    Thanks for your help.
    Shasha

2. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Oh, Shasha, you are going to LOVE Prague and you're smart to be planning your time carefully now, so you get the most out of your visit.

First, you can see pretty much everything in Prague without a car. The public transport is excellent and inexpensive, plus having a car would be a major nuisance.

I'd suggest using the Trip Planner part of this site to start (if you haven't already) and will add a couple of suggestions of my own.

One of my favorite restaurants is U Semika, which is quite near the old (really old!) Vyshehrad castle. You should "do" Vyshehrad if you have time to fit it into your schedule and then you're only about two minutes walk from U Semika, on Vratislavova. (It's also a hotel, but I don't know anything about the accommodations.) Good food and a cozy atmosphere, with a nice outdoor seating area in the back.

As far as what to bring back, you'll find excellent prices on high-quality crystal and most of the shops will arrange for shipping so you don't have to carry the stuff yourself.

I'm sure others on this site will have suggestions, also.

Susan