Prague Olympics 2016

Discussion in 'Culture' started by GlennInFlorida, Sep 13, 2007.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Prague is officially going after the Olympics in 2016 - what do you think about it? We gave it a shot here (for 2012), didn't make the cut. Locally we were divided about 50-50 over the prospect. While most people liked the idea of the Olympics, they didn't like the reality (congestion, traffic woes, massive construction projects, etc.) How about you?

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

This is very complicated topic - a lot of people thinks money should be used more efective way, money spend for games will not return, there is gonna be no use for stadiums and other structures when the games are over ...

But personaly, I am a supporter of this project, it is milion times better propagation of Czech rep. than various stalls on Expo's or other exhibitions or even CNN spots.

Love Cyprus :wink:

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, but in fact the project is aimed for Olympics 2020.
    I’m not in favor of it. State budget is permanently in deficit, Prague budget as well, and Prague wants money for it from the state (that means from the countryside).
    As a representant of a region with no single meter of a highway (and a net-donor!), I would prefer state investments into the countryside.

I would have no problems with Olympic games financed by Prague itself, even some state investments into infrastuctures useful to the benefit of the whole state could be fine (e.g. Olympic Village transformed into a campus), but that is not realistic.

Some action less desirious of new useless infrastucture, more private sector friendly and not for Prague only could be better. An Euro, for example.

4. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Not to mention how hideous the new structures would be, if recent building projects are anything to go by! (National library?)

5. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

As opposed to Wer, I do live in Prague. But still I am not supporter of the games either, there are much better ways to spend money and I agree that there would be no use for the buildings after the Olympics. I do not think this money would ever return.

Let Wer have his highway :wink:

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

That is what I was writting about 8)

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

New logo for Olympic Games in Prague:

[​IMG]

8. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I think the best argument against having them here is that there aren't enough people in and around Prague to make use of all the new facilities that would have to be built - the Games are huge! (Although I presume they'll be events around the country as well as Prague - weren't there some matches in Ostrava for the 2004 World Championships?)

9. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I think the best argument against having them here is that there aren't enough people in and around Prague to make use of all the new facilities that would have to be built - the Games are huge! (Although I presume there'll be events around the country as well as in Prague - weren't there some hockey matches in Ostrava for the 2004 World Championships?)