Prague to Czesky Krumlov to Vienna

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Anonymous, May 6, 2002.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We want to go from Prague to Czesky Krumlov and stay over one night, and then travel on to Vienna the next day. How does one do this route? Bus? Train? Combination? We are not driving ourselves. We are travelling the end of June 2002.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the best way to go from Prague to Cesky Krumlov is going through Ceske Budejovice. By train from Prague to Ceske Budejovice and then by bus to Cesky Krumlov which I don't think it's exactly on the route to Vienna. I think you'd better consider spending at least a couple of days there as I know it's a wonderdful town which is surely worth visiting!

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

A bus ride from Prague all the way to Cesky Krumlov takes about 3 hours. The advantage of taking a bus is that it's a direct and pretty quick trip. The disadvantage is that you may find yourself in a situation that you don't get a seat and have to stand for at least a part of the trip. This depends on what day and time you're going (Fridays and Sundays are busier and the bus may be crowded).

A train ride is nice and more comfortable (I prefer it over taking the bus) but there are no direct trains going all the way from Prague to Krumlov. You have to change trains in Ceske Budejovice, which is easy enough. It takes 2.5 - 3.5 hours to get from Prague to Budejovice and then an additional 45 min. to get to Krumlov on a local commuter train (which will give you the genuine Czech countryside experience!).

If you take the train to Ceske Budejovice and can catch a connection to Krumlov pretty quickly, it makes more sense to continue to Krumlov by train than by bus, so you don't have to walk from the train station to the bus station. Just so you know, when you're buying your ticket in Prague, buy it all the way to Krumlov - the transfer in Budejovice is a given and will automatically be included in the ticket.

To continue to Vienna, you have to first get back to Ceske Budejovice and then catch a train or bus to Vienna. I don't think it's possible to go direct (definitely not by bus). It takes 4-6 hours by train (depending on the connection) and 6 hours by bus.

For train schedules, go to www.vlak.cz
    Bus schedules are available at www.csad.cz (click on Jizdni rady).

I agree with Lorenzo - Cesky Krumlov is a true gem that deserves some quality time, I'd say at least 2 full days (3 nights). I'm not sure if it's worth it to break up your trip to Vienna just to spend one night in Krumlov.

Have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by Dana (edited May 09, 2002).]

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is such precious information, Dana!!
    I have never been to Cesky Krumlov and I'd really like to visit there next time I'm in the Czech Republic!!

Lorenzo