present for Czech family

Discussion in 'Culture' started by iluvuma1, Mar 1, 2005.

1. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

I would like to send my husband's family a gift package from America over the Easter holiday. They live in Dvur Kralove... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a Czech family would like from America? Are there any items we have here that they would enjoy? I would like to get them something unique that they might not have had before. Has anyone sent anything back home that their family particularly enjoyed?

2. iluvuma1

Another thing, I guess I could add that I am looking to send the package to a married couple in thier 60's as well as a single man who is in his early thirties....

3. Karel Fous

Karel Fous Well-Known Member

A very hard question :( . I think there's nothing special from US for Czechs to wish it. (Maybe except invitation).
    Turn your attention to personel interests of the people or hobbies. For someone it could be kitchen machine, for someone maple syrup or good tequila (they're not typical US, I know) or some souces or pack with spices etc., for someone i.e. book about nature or national parks... it is very difficult and variable. You can send also some leisure wear, for instance Banana republic is unknown here, but it is nothing special Americen. A years ago I was facinated with excelent book for aquarium at american bookstores. For 30years man it could be parts of army equipment - throuses, jacket. But also - in case special interest or style of liveor if he can use it...
    Good luck for a good choice.
    Karel

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

There is something special though - invented in US around 1930 - chocolate chip cookies.

5. iluvuma1

Thank you for the helpful hints. I had a mental block and was feeling very uncreative. I thought about "Jelly Belly" beans- since I think they might be a US product that unique to here. I know his mother is a big gardener, so perhaps a tasteful garden decoration might be appreciated. I cannot tell you how many times my husband has called US products "kitch" (junk).
    His brother likes to collect coins, so there's another avenue I can try- however it is hard for me to guess what he is interested in or doesn't have.
    After his mother sent a package of Czech cookies over Christmas- the chocolate chip cookies are a great idea. However, his mother's cookies were like little pieces of artwork- US cookies in comparison are unsightly big blobs...
    Its hard for me because I haven't met his family yet- so I feel particularly unsure. A book is a good idea- however it probably would need to be mostly pictures, as they only speak Czech... His brother is studying English, so a picture book with simple English would be probably fun for him to interpret.
    His brother sent me a picture book of Praha that was in Czech AND English- but it would be impossible to find that here....

6. Karel Fous

If I can add my opinion or sugesstion, choose rather some usefull item than decorative. Czech not improved their gardens with "unusefull" things.
    A photograpic book could be fine. Your national parks are amazing. Everyone must love Ansel Adams. Also CD with old country music could be welcome - 50th - mid 70th.
    Hope to help you.
    Karel

7. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Did you question your husband? He knows his family well and he could provide you with useful suggestions. CD's are a good idea if you know their musical taste.

8. iluvuma1

I was under the impression that some CDs don't work in CR that do here. Something different in the machinery.
    My cousin suggested sending a T shirt with something local on it as well. I don't know anyone (at least here) who can't use another T shirt.
    And who can go wrong with chocolate treats?
    Since his family doesn't know a thing about me- I wanted my package to reflect my personal signature on it. Thats why I haven't asked Jarda what I should get them. You all are very helpful...

9. Karel Fous

I have many CD from US without any problems with playing them. Videocasets are also safe becouse now majority of recorders have US and Europian formats.
    With electro equipment watch the connection - there are different system in USA and Czechia.
    Troubles could occure with DVD.
    Karel

10. GFous

GFous Member

Karel - I was pleased to run across your help. It might guide a man and his wife coming to Prague for the first time to see his relatives....(-;

I have friend in Belguim. Everytime I visit them I bring junk food...they crave it!

G>