Relocating to Prague.

Discussion in 'General Language' started by samw31, Mar 15, 2007.

1. samw31

samw31 New Member

I have lived in the US all my life,33 years to be exact,and I feel like Im stuck here.I just want to pack up and run off to Prague or maybe the surrounding area.I've never really been anywhere but here,and I waited too long to see the things I wanted to see.I have worked on the Mississippi River as a tow boat captain for the past 13 years,and thats really the only professional skill I have.Im pretty handy around the house,and I am quick to pick up on things.Any advice on relocating,job searching,housing,and learning any part on the language so I can communicate with people?

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

My first suggestion is to try to visit Prague for a month or so (and not just in the touristy areas) to get a better idea what you're getting into before jumping in with both feet. Particularly to get to know the culture, social atmosphere, and even basic politics of the country/city, as these differ greatly in some ways from what you are used to. You'll definitely want to know if Prague is a place you would enjoy living before you cut your ties here.

Generally, most people on this site have been saying that it is difficult for a foreigner with little to no Czech language skills to get a job there. That doesn't mean it's impossible, though. Feel free to browse the site, and take advantage of the "Seach" option, to find more info on housing and general tips on learning the language, as similar topics have come up several times before.

Good luck!

P.S. At least as a boat captain, you probably have the Czech word for "hello" down pat (Ahoj, pronounced "Ahoy") [Sorry for the stereotyped remark, but I couldn't help myself :) ]

3. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

In first semestre on university, we had an American native lector. Subject he "taught" was "Global issues" and it was generally a conversation. Also he worked as a corrector of some translations in English for a hospital... maybe that is a possibility.