remote student: En->Cz

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by veikkola, Nov 15, 2009.

  1. veikkola

    veikkola Member

    I have been trying to find the Czech expression for "remote student" or "remote learner" i.e someone who is learning at home and the teacher is somewhere else.
  2. eso

    eso Well-Known Member

    hm, there is term "dálkové studium", which is translated in dictionary as "distance learning"
  3. veikkola

    veikkola Member

    Thank you. Would it then be correct to say: Učím se češtinu dálkovým studiem?
  4. Ctyri koruny

    Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

    Does that mean the same as an open university student though?
  5. veikkola

    veikkola Member

    It is a kind of language school where remote learning is possible.
  6. TomKQT

    TomKQT Well-Known Member

    In this kind of study, do you get regularly in personal contact with the teacher or not?

    It's a bit complicated with the term "dálkové studium" here. On most universities and schools you can study in this form and it means you still have to (or should to) regularly go to the school, usually on fridays evenings/afternoons. Lately, many schools have been starting to call this officially "kombinované studium" (combined study) instead of "dálkové studium", probably to make it more clear.
    There is also the term "distanční studium" (distance learning).

    The problem is, that all those three terms:
    dálkové studium
    kombinované studium
    distanční studium

    can have the same meaning and you can never be sure the other side will understand you correctly if you mean the really remote studium (where you see the teacher for example only during exams or never and also exams are only on internet).

    So, if you're going to the school for consultations, use kombinované studium. If you aren't going there, use dálkové or distanční studium and pray it will be understood correctly :D
  7. wer

    wer Well-Known Member

    I don’t think we have a single term for it. It is not common here.

    “Učím se studiem” is pleonasm. Better to say: “učím se dálkově” or “učím se na dálku”.
    The first option is common for the kind of studies described by eso and TomKQT, the second option is unaccustomed but, at least for me, it suits your meaning perfectly.

    Also, consider the possibility to specify the way of studies in a different way:

    učím se doma (na dálku)
    učím se korespondenčně
    učím se pomocí knih (Internetu, počítačových programů…)

    (Studuji práva v Plzni, telefonicky. :twisted:)
    I have no idea what the term “open university student” means. :D
  8. Ctyri koruny

    Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member ... versity_cz

Share This Page