Second form of ID in the US?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gementricxs, Sep 1, 2008.

  1. gementricxs

    gementricxs Well-Known Member

    What would be the second form of ID for Americans? The other day I went to cash a check to Wells Fargo and was asked for two forms of ID. What would american show since most of them don't have a passport and drivers license and ID is one card?
  2. kibicz

    kibicz Well-Known Member

    How about gun-licence?
  3. GlennInFlorida

    GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

    that's funny :)

    most of us usually have a number of other items besides the usual state ID that identify us - work or school ID, insurance cards, voter registration card, social security card, military ID, and so on. some of us have passports, too.
  4. gementricxs

    gementricxs Well-Known Member

    Work or school ID could be used as a proof of identification? It's not in Czech republic, as a proof of ID we use ID card, passport or driver's license.

    SSN Card could be used like that? It's just a piece of paper, it doesn't even have a photo on in, plus you should not keep it with you (that's what they say).

    I was thinking about ID that one would carry all the time, so when they need it in a bank, you can show it without going back home to get something.
  5. Polednikova

    Polednikova Well-Known Member

    I think this is partly a cultural thing, and I don't know whether the mentality in the US is the same as in the UK, but we tend to shy away from carrying ID with us because it has connectations of police states and the idea that one is obliged to carry ID in case we are asked to show it to the authorities. George Orwell's 1984 and all that.

    We don't have to carry any form of ID with us, not even a driving licence when we're driving. If you're stopped for a traffic offence, for example, you have five days, I think it is, to take your documents to a police station.

    That's why there is such antipathy in the UK to the idea of a national identity card, that the Government has proposed, at vast expense. We don't want the authorities to know everything about us!

    When we open a bank account, we know we'll need ID so we just take it with us when we go to the bank. And it's not primarily photo ID, more something with proof of address, usually a utilities bill.
  6. Petronela

    Petronela Well-Known Member

    Yeah … what everyone else said . :)
    Plus I would also like to point out that state ID and driver’s license are not one and a same. It’s just that most people use their driver’s license as their ID but if you wish you can apply for non-driver’s state ID. In all honesty I can not think of single person who has driver’s license and non-driver’s ID but I’m sure they are there, but usually you can see the non-driver’s ID on people who for various reasons can not legally drive (usually, but not only, it has something to do with health issues, be it physical or mental).
    Also, the business which require any kind of IDs will have a list posted somewhere of which kinds of IDs are acceptable and which are not.
  7. Sova

    Sova Well-Known Member

    Usually when a bank or government organization asks for multiple forms of ID, they don't necessarily mean to ask for multiple photo ID. Usually in this instance, one form of photo ID, e.g. driver's license, is sufficient.

    Credit/Debit cards can in some circumstances be used as non-photo proof of ID as well.
  8. Ktot

    Ktot Well-Known Member

    I find it strange that you needed two IDs at the bank in the U.S. I do not think I have ever been asked that.

    I'm amazed in the Czech Republic how often I am asked for my passport. I was always told to keep it very safe and not to carry it around with you, but I have started doing so. I even needed it every time I rode the train! (because of the student summer discount, which is now sadly over) and I cannot go to the bank without it. My International Student Identity card seems to be no good anywhere to get student discounts, only my passport.
  9. gementricxs

    gementricxs Well-Known Member

    Well, I was asked to show 2 IDs in Wells Fargo when I wanted to cash payroll check. My California ID wasn't enough for them. I showed my Cali ID, Czech ID and I also had to put my fingerprint on the check.

    Ktot, what student ID do you have? ISIC is the one to get in Czech republic. I never had problems with it in Czech. Even my metro pass in Prague is for my ISIC card.
  10. dzurisova

    dzurisova Well-Known Member

    Most banks will give you a hassle if you don't have an open account with them. However, they have to cash "on us" checks so if your employer banks with Wells Fargo, they have to cash it but will give you problems such as requiring several ids.
  11. Ktot

    Ktot Well-Known Member

    Two IDs I can understand...but fingerprint? That bank is unusual, that is for sure.

    Well the problem is that my ISIC card is expired, but some will accept it because it has my birthday on it, and here being under 26 seems to be all that matters, regardless if one is a student or not. When I went to get a new ISIC card, I couldn't, because I graduated from university a few months ago. I was given a ITIC card (card for teacher, because I am here to teach English). It is supposed to have many of the same benefits, but no one here seems to accept it or know what it is (I'm not terribly surprised about that.) The group that arranged my internship said they could get me a new, valid ISIC card, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the money; I didn't get much use out of it two years ago when I was in Germany (but maybe that was because I had an Uni. Card). What do you think?
  12. The Animal

    The Animal Well-Known Member

    Here is a point about about fingerprints here in the states. When you go get your driver licence you have to submit your thumb prints, so we are all in the national data base system. That has been going on for years now.

    Driving without a licence, can land you behind the cold steel bars in a cell. Because you cannot identify yourself.

    As far as being pulled over, the officer has to have a Probale Cause or a (reasonable dought)
  13. Ctyri koruny

    Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

    I just worry that with mandatory ID cards.. the government would get the idea they were in charge. We're in charge.
    The only people the government have control over are criminals, and who exactly are the criminals is decided by the laws which are ultimately decided by the people as well.

    Anyway, for opening a bank account, will an expired student ID card and a passport do me? I assume they'll WANT me to open an account and they'll be willing to do the footwork and contact the college if it comes to it..
  14. eso

    eso Well-Known Member

    Just for curiosity, how is it in Ireland with CCTV? I know that in England are cameras everywhere.

    I'm afraid you will be very, very disappointed :(
  15. Ktot

    Ktot Well-Known Member

    I don't think it's true that you need to be fingerprinted to get a license in the U.S. At least from what I can recall. I very much do not believe that I was fingerprinted. Of course, laws are different in every state. Some states may require it. I did read that some states take a computer scan of your just your right thumb print. I believe that mine did not. The only times that I have been fingerprinted are once or twice when I was a child for "safety" if I ever got abducted (a choice of my parents, not a requirement), when I applied for the Peace Corps, and when I applied for the criminal history background to get my Schengen visa. In general, normal everyday life things, you could get though life in the U.S. without being fingerprinted.
  16. Ceit

    Ceit Well-Known Member

    Here's the list of acceptable ID from the Iowa DOT:

    Primary List:

    1. Photo driver's license or a certified copy of a license that is valid or has not been expired more than one year.
    2. Photo ID card or certified copy of the card issued from the same state agency that issues driver's licenses and has not been expired more than one year, some states excepted.
    3. Original or certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate that has a raised seal and is government-issued. A hospital birth certificate is not acceptable.
    4. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) document.
    5. Court order containing the applicant's full name, date of birth and court seal. This does not include an abstract.
    6. Military ID card, not including a dependent ID card.
    7. Valid U.S. or Canadian passport or foreign passport with the appropriate INS document.
    8. ID card issued by the Canadian Department of Indian Affairs. U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs or tribal ID cards are not acceptable.
    (I love that "not acceptable" comes at the very end of that)

    Secondary List:

    1. Any primary document.
    2. Bureau of Indian Affairs card.
    3. Photo driver's license or photo ID card expired one year or more.
    4. Court order that does not contain the applicant's date of birth but does have full name.
    5. Foreign birth certificate translated by an approved translator.
    6. Military discharge or separation papers (DD214).
    7. Military dependent ID card.
    8. Employer ID card.
    9. Health insurance card.
    10. IRS or state tax document completed by the governmental agency. A W-2, 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and related forms completed by the taxpayer are not acceptable.
    11. Marriage license or certificate.
    12. Medical records from doctor or hospital, original or authenticated.
    13. Gun permit.
    14. Pilot's license.
    15. Certified school record or transcript.
    16. Social Security card issued by the Social Security Administration. A metal version of the card is not acceptable.
    17. Canadian Social Insurance card.
    18. Photo student ID card.
    19. Vehicle certificate of title. Vehicle registration is not acceptable.
    20. Voter registration card.
    21. Welfare card.
    22. Prison release document.
    23. Certified or notarized affidavit identifying a minor child that is personally provided by the child's parent or guardian. The parent or guardian must provide acceptable proof of his/her identity.

    Notice #13 in the Secondary list kibicz? :wink:

    Of course, that is Iowa and not Cali. This list for proof of birth date and legal presence is from the California DMV site:
    Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

    * US Birth Certificate
    * US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad
    * Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
    * INS American Indian Card
    * Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
    * US Passport
    * US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
    * Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
    * Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
    * Northern Mariana Card
    * INS US Citizen ID Card
    * Permanent Resident Card
    * Temporary Resident Identification Card
    * Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
    * Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
    * Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
    * Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
    * Employment Authorization Card
    * Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
    * Refugee travel document
    * "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
    * Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP
    * Immigration judge’s order granting asylum
    * Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction.
    * Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
    * Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)
    * Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94

    This is all for DOT/DMV, not for banks, but I think it's a damn fine list anyway. I've never been asked for a second ID at a bank, just when I applied for a new Social Security card, and they accepted by student ID as the second (driver's license was the first).
  17. Kacerovsky

    Kacerovsky Member

    Driver's License and Social Security Card.

    Driver's License and Birth Certificate.

    Driver's License and Visa/Amex/MC Card.
  18. The Animal

    The Animal Well-Known Member

    Dear friends,

    Social Security Card is not ment for ID. purpose's at all. Please be careful about sharing your SS Card. :wink:
  19. Alexx

    Alexx Well-Known Member

    And I guess neither Visa or other bank card should be.
  20. Petronela

    Petronela Well-Known Member

    Trust him ….
    It is lot safer to have your CC # plastered anywhere then you SS#, because CC companies have zero liability policies if your card is misused. However if your SS# gets misused you are basically hosed and have to jump through gazillion of hoops.
    Last year someone got hold of my husbands visa number and spent over 3K on it … took 5 minutes phone call to have it taken off.
    Have a coworker whose SS number was stolen by some illegal chick few years ago and till this day she is still having random issues with it.

    So ….. please, please never ever use your SS# for anything other then job application, taxes and social security related stuff. Legally you don’t even have to give it to your doctor, they want it for their filing purposes but technically don’t have a right to ask for it, same goes for schools.

Share This Page