Shorter forms in spoken czech

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Krtecek, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Krtecek

Krtecek Member

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about the spoken czech.

I have heard many times czechs saying such verbs in past : "Mels pravdu, videlas ?",... instead "mel jsi pravdu, videla jsi ?",...
    My question is : can I use this shorter form after every verb ?
    Like for example "rozumelas"?, predstavils mu helcu ?"

Then a czech friend told me that I had better say -ej/ij instead of -eho at the end of adjectives. For example, Vidim modernij chytrej studenta. Can I use it every time I would say -eho/iho ?
    And I'm not sure but I think I have heard sometimes people pronouncing -e instead of -y, for example "to byl opravdove vykon, to je velke most". Is it right ? If yes, can I say it every time ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

2. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

the way you describe the short forms indicates you understand them right, both examples you posted are correct and, yes, it can be used with any verb (at least I can't think of one where it doesn't work)

I've never heard of that different ending of adjectives - it may be a part of some obscure dialect but you've probably just got something wrong

The y/e thing is specific to the Brno accent - it's very common and safe to use in Moravia (esp. its southern part) but say it in Prague and you'll most likely be labeled moravian redneck:)

3. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

1) It does not work with the reflexive verbs:

jsi + se/si gives always ses/sis (even in Standard Czech)

e.g. Zeptal ses? (never Zeptals se?), Co sis myslel?

2) some phonetic changes in Common Czech:

ý -> ej: dobrý -> dobrej, mlýn -> mlejn

é -> í/ý: dobré mléko -> dobrý mlíko