Simple translation please help

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by alexrarnn, Oct 16, 2007.

1. alexrarnn

alexrarnn New Member

I'm doing a report/presentation for school please tell me how to say: Hello, How are you? Thank you.
    Thanks for your help, Alex :lol:

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Ahoj, jak se máš?     (informal to one person)
    Ahoj, jak se máte?    (to more persons or formal to one person)

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

just be aware that most Czechs would never ask "how are you?" - it is much too personal.

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

It is not so personal, but it is not considered a social phrase to the English extent. (Simply, a question is demand for answer. And don’t ask the same person the same thing twice a day. :wink:)

But in this case, together with the "Hello", it should be understood the expected way.

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Well, I guess that is about all I was trying to say - the phrase is commonly used over here without any real expectation of a full answer. In fact most people would be taken aback if they were to be given a full response to the question - all they are expecting is a simple "fine" (whether or not that is the case) in reply. I have found that if you use this standard American greeting in Prague, you are about as likely to get "so,so" or "poorly" in response as you are to get "fine". putting you in the position of having a discussion about health or finances that you really didn't intend to have. This is not quite as true around tourist areas where people are more familiar with the purely social significance (or perhaps insignificance) of the greeting.

Anyway - I'll just stick to "Dobrý den." :)

6. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

"Ahoj" itself is rather informal.
    I would also stick to "Dobrý den" as GlennInFlorida suggests.

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yakhsehmaash :)

Actually, this is one of "kazakh" phases Borat uses in his show and movie. (All his phrases are funny mix of czech and polish actually, not kazakh).

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member