Surname Radej -- Bohemian?

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by arebella, Jul 22, 2006.

1. arebella

arebella New Member

Hello all,

My father's family came from Domaclize, Bohemia to the US in 1874. I came across some paperwork (census/passports/ship log info) from my great +++ grandfather and found that he spelled his surname name "Radej".

I have looked up this surname before but have not been able to associate this last name with Bohemia or Czech, but rather with Slovenia! The family is definitely from Bohemia.

Questions I have are
    1. Is this just an uncommon surname?
    2. How is this pronounced? My maiden name is Ready (pron. REE-dee)
    3. What does this translate to?

Thank you for your time!

~Amy

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No wonder, accents are omited. I think it was "Raděj".
    "Raděj" is no rarity in the CR.
    I'm not expert :oops: on such transcription, I guess (for "Raděj") something like "Rahdyay".

Maybe this can help you since Czech spelling is very phonetic (not absulutely - for Zeisig :wink:). "Raděj" is pronounced as "Raďej".
    Perhaps derived from verb "radit" (= advice) or from adverb "rád" (~ be glad/pleased/delighted/happy/fain).

3. arebella

arebella New Member

Thank you so much for your reply! I guess I do remember hearing that the word "glad" was associated with the name but wasn't able to find that from someone who knows the language, just was told from family members. Can't wait to tell the others!

~Amy

4. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

There are about 70 people with the surname Raděj and Radějová in the Czechlands.

For wer :wink: : rád is no adverb, but adjective. It has distinct forms for all genders and numbers.

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Gosh :oops: :oops: , my mistake, I didn't ponder it and wrote adverb automatically because it works in similar way. My shame is doubled since it was kicked around in this topic already.

6. arebella

arebella New Member

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Maybe from this statistic of Ministry of the Interior - Raděj and Radějová.

"Radějová" is female form of male name "Raděj".