The difference in meaning

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Karel, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hello,

Can anyone provide me with Czech translation of the two sentences below?

1) Is there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no reasonable man could doubt it?

2) Is there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no reasonable man could doubt?

Many thanks indeed. Karel

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

1) Existuje na světě nějaká vědomost, jež je tak jistá, že o ní žádný rozumný člověk nemůže pochybovat?

The second one does not make sense to me, perhaps som English native speaker might help. I would translate it as

2) Existuje na světě nějaká vědomost, jež je tak jistá, že žádný rozumný člověk nemůže pochybovat?

which sounds quite odd...

3. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hi Halef,

Thank you very much for your post.

Sadly enough, I can`t make head nor tail of the second one either. The difference is as follows:

1) Is there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no reasonable man could doubt it (that knowledge alone)?

2) If we leave out the final 'it' an entirely different question is asked - is there a class of knowledge that is so true that a reasonable person would become unable to doubt? (as an action)
    The sentence without the final 'it' implies not that this specific class of knowledge cannot be doubted but that a reasonable man would be unable to doubt - per se.

So, thank you once again, and hopefully someone will enlighten us on the second.one.

Karel

4. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

It seems to me that it (#1 'it') could be the world or knowledge (though is obviously most likely 'knowledge' to be sensical), whereas with the second the doubting is internal, passes back to the self, i.e., the man himself (or woman herself) would or would not be able to doubt based on the previous criteria of the sentence.

So...basically ditto the previous post, is my reading...

Shawn

5. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Hang on a second, been a long time, but isn't that from Descartes' Meditations?

OK I got duped...lol:)

6. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your invaluable help.

The first one comes from "The problems of philosophy" by B. Russell, though it certainly draws on the well-known --cogito ergo sum--.

The second one is mine. Always making things more difficult than they are, very typical of me.....

Thank you once again ....Karel