The Pub's on Fire!

Discussion in 'General Language' started by fabik317, Oct 22, 2006.

1. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

Hello, most czechs probably know this but I thought it would be interesting and/or funny for people learning czech to have a listen to this thing: http://www.eprdel.cz/mp3/hori.mp3

Have fun, I (or whoever) can also provide transcription and/or translation, just ask.

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Funny...
    reminds me of some of George Carlin's routines
    Thanks!

3. steveb

steveb Member

I'd love to understand that. It sounds a very good routine judging by the audience reaction. I think I know what's going on - he seems to be reading the H section of a dictionary and stringing together adjacent words in a suggestive manner.
    If anyone posted an English translation, I'd be very grateful.

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

No, no, it's a funny story composed from words begining on H only 8) 8)

5. Karel_lerak

If somebody wants to make a translation, here's the text:
    Hoří!

6. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Hey, the laughter in that routine is infectious.
    I'll bet it is very funny.
    I don't even understand it and I want to laugh.

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Pavel pospíchal podél pokladen. Podlezl provazy přehrazující prostor pro platící. Přeběhl po peróně. Polekaně písknul - průvodčí právě přivíral poslední průchod.

Proč? ...přemýšlel. Páteční pijatika... Pak Petra pozapomněla Pavla probudit, protože Pepík potřeboval připravit projekt pro pondělní přírodovědu.

Procválal přes písečný plácek. Přeskočil plůtek. Přistál plavně....
    Pak Pavlův pravý podpatek prasknul. Pěknej průšvih!

:)

8. fabik317

Ok, here's my attempt at a rough translation, please excuse it's sloppiness:)

Fire! The Humpy Bunch, the upper pub of Herspice is on fire. Hrubes the Tavernkeep howls with terror, chases the firemen, swears, cries, yells: put it out!, quick!, move it!, halfwits! The firemen don't do shit abot extinguishing [the fire]. They're looking for the main hydrant. The pigeon-house, heap of manure, aspic, musicians' violins, harps, accordion and hashish all burn. Hussite poleaxes burn, historical hebrew hieroglyphs burn, hectolitres of smuggled Henessy burn as well. Hrubes's brown Honda is also on fire. 'Hilfe, Hilfe!', yells Havranek the Henleinist hysterically - 'the Haakenkreuz is burning, HimmelHerrGott!'. 'Hush, fucker!' - a crowd of Herspice hockey players hook him deftly with their sticks. The gambling room burns, ulsters burn - splurge greatcoats of notable actors who put their sky-high royalties carelessly at risk. Manes of Hlavsa the Horse-Chafferer's Hutsul stallions burn, disabled persons' humps burn. Hanak the Farmer's boots are burning - [what a] Filth. The hormonal hybrid Horacek the Homosexual strokes the firehose nozzle with his buttocks. Hirs the Hinduist hypnotizes the Hodonin horizon - 'Hooray, hydrometeorites!' - Hallucination. The main hydrant, being feverishly searched for by the firemen, is burning. It took the pub an hour to burn down. Done. Hiroshima is a joke [compared to this]. The fire site is obscured by thick ogf [sic]. Hrubes the Tavernkeep is digging graves. Hyenas are having a feast.

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Hilarious! Reminds me of Johnny Carson and Jack Webb (Sgt. Joe Friday of Dragnet) doing their Copper Clappers routine.

10. scrimshaw

Fabik!!
    To je skvělé.
    Nevím jestli to je bez chyb ale to je užasné práce.
    Tuším, že umíš velmi dobře česky.

To je hrozně legrace. Je jasné proč dav se tolik smali.

Dešivé hyeny hlučeně hoduji v tomhle divokém opušteném oblastě Afriku když se vystrášené opice tiše skrývá v stroméch. Levy řvaji v dalce.
    Hyeny si nový hluk uvědomí ale sežerou padlé zviře dál.
    Hrožné obloudy se sežerou na jejích vlastni riziko.

11. fabik317

Scrimshaw, no, it's certainly not without mistakes, Czech is my native tongue but my English is far from perfect, so I bet there's a ton of errors in my "translation" but at least you get an idea. BTW the hyenas at the end have nothing to do with Africa - they're just included because they're widely known as archetypal scavengers and, mainly, because "hyena" starts with an "H":)

12. scrimshaw

Ha, Fabik, myslel jsem, že jsi to přeložil od čestinu do angličtinu.
    No, to jsi udělal ale jsem myslel, že byl anglicky tvůj druhé jazyk.
    Měl jsem to žpětné.
    V každém připadě jsi to udělal výborně.

A to z nás (those of us?) které se učíme česky ti moc děkujeme.

Ano, hyeny tam nebyli skutečné hyeny==byla metafora :D
    Chudák, Pan Hrubeš. Hořil mu jeho hezkou hospodu. (I do not think that is right=His pub burned down)
    Hašiče, hovada, jen hledáli hlavní hydrant. Hýkal Hybaj! ale marně. Hezkou hospodu už není.

13. scrimshaw

Zas jsem to udělal zpětě Fabiku. :oops:
    Myslel jsem, že jsem se neuvědoval, že byl tvůj druhé jazyk anglicky.

14. Karel_lerak

15. Karel_lerak

16. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Maybe Pochopil jsem to opačně.

17. scrimshaw

Myslel jsem to špatně.
    Can you say=I got it backwards?
    Shořela chudáčin hospopu.
    Lídé překladá věci z, do.
    Tí z nás, kteři jen mluvíme anglicky ale učíme se česky, moc všemi děkujeme.

Rozlobené lvi řvou nedaleko. Hladové hyeny hodují na padlé zvíře dál.
    Hrozné obludy žerou dál ubohé padlé obět na svých riziko.
    The horrible monsters continue eating the pathetic fallen victim at the own risk?
    (protože hladové lvi jsou blizko)

18. Karel_lerak

19. scrimshaw

Myslel jsem (na?) to špatně a i jsem to napsal opačně. Hrozný žak jsem.
    Je mi lito slyšet, že shořela hospoda toho ubohého chudáka.
    Nelíbil jsem se mu moc stejně, ale když se mé sestru vzal.
    Musím tam jít a chvíli s ním na ramenech plakat.
    Ted' nevím ale kde si koupím pivička.

Dav==Hlučně se dav rozesmál, když Nohavice začal vyprávět své vtipy.

Ošklivé hlučné obludy se bojí, když slyší nedaleko rozlobené hladové lvy., ale nechtějí své jidlo opuštit.
    Opice se vystrašeně skrývají v stromech.
    Slony se vzbudí a začinají zlobit se.
    Je to dálší dobrodružstvi v tmavé dzungli.

20. Karel_lerak