Train to Dresden from Praha 2 weeks from now

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by ondrejana, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

We were planning on taking the 2.5 hour train ride for just the day, coming back late at night...

Any recommendations at all from anybody? Neither my husband nor I have ever been to Germany... Historic walks, charming corners, etc requested!

On the food front, their schnitzel any different from rizek? their pivo any better than pilsner?

Thank you again,
    Sviteks

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess schitzel differs from restaurant to restaurant, from country to country, recepi from recepi. Despite it you can eat same tasting and same looking in Prague and in Dresden. Řízky neznají hranic :)

No way :)

Just the fact they label their beer as "Pilsner" or "Pils", they admit it is just a clon :)
    (Same case as american "Budweiser" ;-))

3. Hi ondrejana. If you are planning to visit Dresden and willing to spend a lot of time on your feet you will have the possibility to discover a lot of nice things. Do not miss the "Frauenkirche" which was totaly destroyed after the second world war and now refurbished and open for the public. The whole oldtown is nice and should be visited. Regarding food and drinks. Try whatever you want. As DjAvatar already mentioned, it will be different from pub to pub. And beer, ... try to have a Radeberger it is the jewel of their beers. Have fun in Dresden.

4. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Hi Angel in Munich!

Yes, we definitely intend on going into Aldstadt station (is this Hauptbahnhof?) and only after exploring the Old Town, taking the (is it 4Euro) 1/2 hr train to Neustadt station.. our hearts are with history and architecture, however.

thank you again for mentioning to me FRAUENKIRCHE (i know that in Dansk, kirke=church.. must be the same in german, by deduction). And yes, i'm very well aware of what we and the brits did in 2/1945 to the poor city, and that by pure tenacity, the church burned for 2 whole days before surrendering in ashes... is it true that the church was reopened in 2004? 05? It was the 800th anniversary of Dresden in 2006, if I recall correctly.

My girlfriend here in Oregon just returned from Munster, Berlin, and Paderborn just 3 days ago, and she told me that I must try the bakeries lined all over the streets in the cities? that one can get fresh deli sandwiches, pizza, besides the usual expected strudel, kuchen, etc..

Cheers for your help! I'm very excited about Dresden, especially after having discovered the SONE+ card, which applies from praha!

The Sviteks :D