Travel to Kutna Hora

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by gemgemloulou, Jun 19, 2005.

1. gemgemloulou

gemgemloulou New Member

Hi,

I'm travelling to Prague in mid-August and I'd love to visit the Ossuary in Sedlec.

What do you think the best way to travel there is?

I downloaded a suggested map from http://www.dp-praha.cz/download/schema- ... amvaje.gif which contains "Sedlec" on a grey "Lanova Draha" line. What does this mean (i'm finding i difficult to find a translation) and is this the same Sedlec?

I was considering going on the train to Kutna Hora but is it difficult to get from Kutna Hora station to the Ossuary? :?

Thank you...this site has been brilliant!

Gem

:D

2. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Kutna Hora is easy to get to from Prague.
    From Hlavni Nadrazi there are regular trains, although for some you may need to change at Kolin.

It is not the same Sedlec as on the map you have of Prague transport.

This page may help with a little more information:
    HERE

I have not visited the ossuary yet, although I have been to Kutna Hora with friends (and by car), so how far it is from the station, I do not know. Someone else I hope will add to this information. Hope this helps.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

There is a Touristbus shuttle from the train station in Kutná Hora to St. Barbara Church (Sedlec - ossuary is the first stop), running during the tourist season (May 15 - September 4).

4. gemgemloulou

gemgemloulou New Member

Thank you very much!

I've been on that web page before...the pictures are amazing!

Thanks for all your help,

Gem

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If you prefer walking, the Ossuary (kostnice) is about 2 km from the Kutna Hora main train station (hlavni nadrazi), 1 km from the Kutna Hora-Sedlec train station, and just over 1/2 km from the Kutna Hora, Sedlec, Tabak bus station (see map).

You might also look at http://www.kutnahora.cz/index.php?lns=2 for more info on Kutna Hora and the Ossuary.

6. gemgemloulou

gemgemloulou New Member

I'd much prefer to walk, you can take in scenery at your own pace and it's a lot less complicated!!

Thank you for giving me the names in Czech, makes map reading a whole lot easier!!

I'm so excited already but its only June! :(

Enjoying the English sun though 8) (about time too!)

Thank you again

Gem

7. BOK602

BOK602 New Member

BY THE GODS -Take the bus! Take the bus!
    The bus ride we took from the Prague Station was something out of movie!

The driver swerved and lurched, we swayed from side to side, the bus itself heaved dangerously at every breakneck turn!

The scenery we passed as we barrelled along was well worth risking our lives to see.

As for the ossuary, it was dignified, yet creepy.

8. Bewildebeeste

Bewildebeeste New Member

When I visited Kutna Hora last march, we got the train as far as Kolin from Prague (Masarykovo), then caught the bus from Kolin to Kutna Hora, the bus ride was interesting, driving through all these small villages with the landscape blanketed in snow.

We wanted to see the ossuary in Sedlec, and walked there from Kutna Hora, it's not that far if you're relatively fit (relativlely being the operative word :wink: ) - probably about 15-20 mins each way.

On the way back, the first bus that arrived was going back to Prague (Skalka), and was an interesting trip, although it took close to 2 hours. Skalka is at the end of the green metro line so there wasn't any difficulty in getting back to the center of Prague.

Overall I would find it difficult to say one way of getting there is better than another. The train to Kolin was fairly quick, but you certainly saw more from the bus.