Travel Writing Book on Expat Life- Me, Myself and Prague

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Katie/Katerina, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Katie/Katerina

Katie/Katerina Active Member

For anyone in Prague, or going to Prague, wanting to read about Czech life in Prague, I recently found a 'travelogue' written by an Australian woman (user of Expats.cz) who has just spent a year and a half living in Prague as an expat.

It's called 'Me, Myself and Prague', published by Allen & Unwin press in 2008, and is by Rachel Weiss(ova?!) I'm about half way through myself, and it's the usual rose-tinted spectacles to reality typre tale of living abroad. I've read some passges out to my boyfriend and he seems to think it's quite spot on, with passages about Czech retail staffs' inability to smile, Czech driving, the lingering Communist-era sense of humour etc...

It's available on Amazon if not in Praha bookshops.

:D

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I know Rachael - we used to go to the same Czech language school - and she writes very well. You might be interested in reading her website and blog www.rachaelweiss.com

3. Katie/Katerina

I'll definitely have a look, thanks. Apologies for mis-spelling her name. Her book felt like a godsend the other day when I spotted in my old book shop. A great thing to be able to read before I come over myself. I've certainly met a few shop keeper's like those she's mentioned already!

4. Polednikova

I think you have to take a lot of it with quite a large pinch of salt, Katie. It's more a work of fiction than an accurate portrayal of life here...

5. Katie/Katerina

Certainly- the first half of the book seems to focus on a lot of negatives, and having been over a few times myself, I've never been able to focus on anything negative... when there are so many positives about the city :0) :D

6. Polednikova

Quite.