traveling to Budapest

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by schutnitza, May 12, 2005.

1. schutnitza

schutnitza Active Member

Could anyone share their experience from visiting Budapest? I am looking for the info on the best sightseeing tours, museums to visit, restaurants and anything else that is especially interesting about that city.
    Any recommendations on the place you think we must visit there?

I found that it is harder to find online info on Budapest than Prague...

Thank you!!!

N.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The walk along the river in Budapest is stunning, and could easily take a whole day. There's quite a variety of architectiture. The only other place I went to (I was only there for a short day trip) was an out-of-the-way church, which held the (supposed) hand of Saint Stephen (Istvan), the first king of Hungary (see this link). It's a little morbid (less so than say the chapel of bones in Kutna Hora), but it'll make for a good conversation on your return :).

3. schutnitza

schutnitza Active Member

Sova, thanks for the link! It sounds like an interesting place and we'll definitely put this on our list of places to visit there. I never heard of Kutna Hora. I'll have to search internet to see what it is all about... Where is it located?

N.

4. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just thought I would mention in case you were unaware... Its probably a very good idea to purchase The Budapest Card which offers free entry to most museums and other tourist attractions. There are many places you can get it; tourist offices, metro stations etc.
    The Hungarians are just fabulous people (in my opinion), very open, kind and willing to make you better enjoy their country.
    Now I am jealous :)
    Have a great time!
    Jason

5. FierceKitty

FierceKitty Well-Known Member

Kutna Hora's just outside Prague, and contains the prettiest cathedral you'll ever see and a bizarre ossuary just outside town. I take it you're not a Praguer, since you don't know the place?

6. schutnitza

schutnitza Active Member

Thanks guys for all your help! We will be in Budapest for only 3 days. That Budapest Card - how long is it valid for?

FierceKitty, you are absolutely correct - I am not a Praguer :).. From what I've heard on this site about the place I wish I was. My husband and I are just taking a trip first to Prague and then by train to Budapest - about 10 days overall. We are leaving the US on May 19!!! I am so excited!!! We've been thinking about taking this trip for a while. And now my school semester is over and I am definitely ready to take a break from work... So, it is perfect!

N.

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Kutna Hora is about 50-60 km east of Prague. The ossuary Fierce Kitty and I were talking about is quite impressionable. Here is a link to a virtual tour. Once you're there, click on "Ossuary." Note, also the virtual tour requires a Java plugin. The virtual tour really doesn't do it justice, though.

8. tombp2004

tombp2004 Member

Hi out there!
    If you need some information about Budapest just ask me about anything.
    I'm from Budapest, I can help you in anything
    See you 8)