tropical fish in Prague

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Becky, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Becky

Becky Member

Can anyone tell me if there are shops in Prague that sell tropical fish? We are travelling there in a week and my husband is a fish hobbyist who would like to buy fish there to bring back to the US. We have permits from the US and are seeking them from the Czech governement.

Thanks

2. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hi Becky,

I am just curious but why buy tropical fish in the Czech Republic?
    Is it more convenient?

Lorenzo

3. Becky

Becky Member

I think my husband is hoping to find fish that are different from types that are available here in Missouri where we live. He breeds fish as a hobbyist and would like to find new breeds of fish. There may not be any "unusual fish" there at all, that's why I'm asking.

4. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

I understand. There surely are such shops in Prague but I don't really know what kind of fish they sell there but if this can help here is a link to the Czech yellow pages where you can get a list of shops that deal in field of aquaristics in Prague http://www.zlatestranky.cz/hledej/?
    You have to type "AKVARISTIKA" where it says "Hledaná slova, firma, nebo rubrika" and then select "Hlavní město Praha" where it says "Kraj".

5. Becky

Becky Member

Thanks Lorenzo, you've made my husband very happy. At least he will have a head's up on where to look.

6. Karel Fous

Karel Fous Well-Known Member

Excellent pet shop with lot of tropical fishes are at metro station Luka (line B). Good choise is also at hobby supermarket Hornbach at Ruzyně or Černý Most.
    Karel :)

7. Becky

Becky Member

Thank you for taking the time to give me the information about the petshops!!
    we'll be leaving on Tuesday and I know we will have a great time!

Becky

8. schutnitza

schutnitza Active Member

Hi Becky! I was just wondering how your trip to Prague went. We are going there this May and I am trying to figure out what we want to do and etc...
    Maybe you can offer some tips?

9. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

Could we know what species of fish your husband bought?
    Lebister reticulatus girardinus guppii
    Xyphophorus helleri
    Pterophyllum scalare etc ?

I used to be like your husband - but that was eons ago - it's all forgotten now, but your topic rekindled some new interest. The next time I'm in Prague, I'll visit these pet shops. :)

10. Becky

Becky Member

Just got back from our trip and was disappointed that we didn't find any tropical fish species that my husband was interested in. We did enjoy looking, though.
    We enjoyed the typical tourist sites of the palace, the Charles Bridge and Old Town. If you have time to drive outside of Prague to Terezin, the museum there of the Nazi labor camp is quite interesting. We also drove to Dresden Germany for a day and were impressed with the reconstruction of that city which will celebrate their 800th anniversary next year. I'd love to go back for that, the city was beautiful and the people very gracious.

11. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

Generally freshwater tropical fish sold all over the Western world are the same. The majority are bred in farms in Europe and America. They only ones that are imported are those that only breed in nature.