Using Czech to communicate with Slovakian

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by LuvaCzech, Aug 14, 2008.

1. LuvaCzech

LuvaCzech New Member

Is it correct and do Slovakians take exception to someone communicating with them in Czech? They are different no? I can only find english to Czech translations online.
    Thank you!

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

For English-Slovak translations, try this http://slovnik.zoznam.sk/. Slovak people understand Czech without problems; in general, Czech is not regarded as a foreign language (e.g. Czech films are not dubbed).

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I am living in sharehouse in London right now, being the only czech in here, the others are slovaks. Believe me, it works :).

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Slovaks always assume that I can understand them when they're speaking Slovak, so I would imagine the opposite to be true as well. Honestly, and no offense to Slovaks, it drives me a bit batty, because I definitely do not understand Slovak anywhere near as well as Czech, but I feel stupid asking them to speak Czech.....

5. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

times do change -- the interaction that existed before is no more - most czech kids nowadays do not know what tava, korytnacka, papagaj mean (sorry for my slovak spelling) - it amazed me when someone asked me what velka noc is

likewise, i was chatting with a slovak teen and he did not know what "kysane zeli" was

nowadays there is no interaction between the languages (btw there is dubbing now from what i have heard)

personally, i don't think it is a good thing

6. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

it's our age jen :D we are from the generation that was "czechoslovakia"