Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Culture' started by yin, May 2, 2003.

1. yin

yin Member

When is the Valentine's Day for Czech people ?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

February 14, although this tradition is not as popular with Czechs as it is for example in the United States.

3. Acheron

Acheron Active Member

Yes, it's too american [​IMG]

4. Padolsky

Padolsky New Member

I think most Czechs consider May 1 or "The Day of Love" the equivalent of St. Valentine's Day. I also think it's quite funny that the Czechs' day of love is the day after the night of the burning of the witches. Once those witches are gone we can all love each other more! LOL.

5. Harry

Harry Active Member

OK. It's that time of year again. And this topic hasn't seen the light of day for 12 months so here goes. How is it perceived in the Czech Republic? And please, forgive me, don't say it's American; St Valentine was martyred about 1300 years before the declaration of independence.
    Do people send cards?
    I'm aware of May 1st and thought I'd hit with a double whammy this year and commemorate both.

Harry
    Living in hope and not for want of trying.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

While we're on the subject, how about International Women's Day, March 8? I know this is a huge holiday in Russia and Ukraine, but I don't recall ever hearing anything about it in the Czech Republic (or Slovakia, for that matter).

7. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Women's Day in CR used to be a big do under the communist regime. St. Valentine's, on the contrary, was not celebrated at all.

8. magan

magan Well-Known Member

St. Valentyne is not Czech holiday, but like many others is pushed at Czechs by greeting card industry. Did you notice Haloween cards, little pumpkin candles etc., green for St. Patrick's Day.... What a nonsence. That makes me sick. Next year they will be promoting American independence day and expect Czechs to buy card for each other. It is pitty, that those Czechs who think so little of their own traditions think that it is sign of civilization their backward nation didn't know about till American greeting industry arrived in town.

9. kristiwc

kristiwc Member

Yeah--I heard that Halloween was pushed big time in the CR. But, I heard it flopped. On a dvd series of the Simpsons I saw a czech language track. I can't really say anything negative about "borrowing" other countries holidays. B/c Im going to celebrate my daughters Name Day. Her name is Ruzenka and I want her to know how special her name is even though no-one around here has her name.

10. ursula

ursula Well-Known Member

sorry magan
    theyve been doing that for years!! in germany where im from too. i think they are creating markets for their goods. st valentine is not a german holiday. i cant blame it all on the americans though. too many countries are becoming americanized by their own choice. drives me nuts. i wont discuss mc donalds or ill start raving. sorry i had to vent. there are many beautiful countries in europe and i dont want them to look like america.
    ciao
    ursula