Washington upsets Czechs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by wissy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

I noticed this article in The Prague Post.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/96824

Is it just me or is The USA being really insensative and arrogant in this proposal :?:

Discuss..........

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

This is complicated topic, my opinion:

I still support US radar in CR, despite it seems that both Czech and US government are doing everything to damage this plan. :-/

Of course, presence of Russian soldiers, even arranged without Czech knowledge is something unacceptable for Czechs. Expression "O nás bez nás" (About us without us) is branded painfuly to Czech historical cognizance.

Unfortunate statements of US politicians aren't nothing new, though. Condoleezza Rice in her book wrote, that Czechs are cowards.

On other hand, Lubomir Zaoralek, mentioned in article is openly pro-Russian, he graduated in marx-lenin philosophy and I personaly cannot stand him (with a few his other party colleagues ), because I consider him as total demagogue.

And about Russia itself... Maybe it's my Czech history interpretation talking, but I would welcome, if this radar system could protect us from Russian missiles, too. Because situation in Russia is constantly worsening - Putin is becoming more and more powerfull and I'm little afraid of future, when there are so warning signals - like Russia threats to stop gas flowing to Europe, Alexander Litvinenko murder, murders of Russian journalists, pogroms to foreigners and minorities in Russia...

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

No more reaction?
    So I put my head above the parapet for nothing? :)

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Sorry Eso that no one has commented. When I first read your post, I thought to myself "I want to look into what Rice said and read the context in which she was saying it before I comment. However, I've been quite busy and frankly forgot to look into it. Therefore as of yet, I have no comment. :)

Well here's one comment. Without knowing the context, one can not make a judgment on her statement. Perhaps in the context that she was phrasing it, the Czechs did act like cowards. There have been times, in my opinion, that America has behaved as cowards, take the Rwandan Genocide of 1994 for example. That doesn't mean I'm anti-American or dislike Americans.

So when I get the chance, if I remember, I check into what Rice said and then I'll comment. Good enough :wink:

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

It is much worser, it is stupid. :D
    Agreed.
    Agreed.
    Agreed. :D
    Agreed.
    Is my comment the reaction you was waiting for? 8)
    I understand you feel obliged to react on eso’s remark on Rice, but I don’t think it was eso’s main point. 8)

Rice wrote a lot of stuff (including her doctoral thesis) on Czechoslovak People’s Army, its relation to the communistic party, to the Soviet Union etc.

She wrote that Czechoslovak government prefered political solution instead of resisting to the Soviet invasion, which is right.

She compared the passivity of the Czechoslovak army during the invasion with assumed resistance of the Polish army in the same situation. That’s nonse, no invasion in Poland was needed since the Red Army was stationed there since the WWII. (Not speaking of the Polish non-resistance to participate in the invasion in Czechoslovakia)

And finally, she claimed that Czechoslovak army was never fighting against communist, and that it was never fighting at all. That’s simply a lie.

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, something like that :) :)

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

It's not that I felt the obliged to react or I would have reacted much earlier, it's simply that he asked for a reaction and the part about Rice is simply part of his post that is most interesting to me therefore, the part that, if commenting, I would comment on.

So when in this did she call them cowards? Feel free to answer "hey lady, do your own research if you want to know." :wink: :)