Weekly High Speed WI-FI card

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by GuyFullaLove, Jun 17, 2006.

1. GuyFullaLove

GuyFullaLove Active Member

Is there such thing that a Weekly High Speed WI-FI wireless internet card in Prague that someone can purchase?

In Aruba last month, I bought a FULL week WI-FI card that I was able to use in my hotel and at the airport. It cost only $35 for the week.

I am aware of FREE internet cafes (I understand some are slow... some are fast) and the possibility of catching an unsecure wireless connection from a neighbor but I will need reliable HIGH-Speed WI-FI connection in my hotel room so I can take care of urgent business for an hour or two at the end of the day after all the partying is done...

Thanks a lot, folks...

2. MK

MK Well-Known Member

I am not sure whether weekly WI-FI access pass is available in CZ. Maybe someone else can help.

There is pre-paid option of Eurotel WiFi Jet for non Eurotel customers. You can find more on: www.wifijet.cz. The price is 40 CZK/hour (app. 2$/hour). You must buy Go card first (call credit for Eurotel pre-paid mobile sevices). These cards are available in Eurotel offices or in shops named TABAK or TRAFIKA (sells news and cigarettes, actually tabak=tobacco :) ). Among Go card are also other ("non plastic") ways how to buy call credit, but I think only Go card will work for you. On www.wifijet.cz is list of Eurotel offices, you can contact them via email.

3. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

It depends where you'll be staying. I think most hotels in Prague can offer you high-speed internet, just ask them.
    Prague 5 is fully covered by wifi internet for free, it's slow, but it's free and in some restaurant is free wifi internet. I think there's also internet available in some McDonalds and KFC restaurants.

4. GuyFullaLove

I just called the hotel I will be staying in... They said they offer High Speed Internet in the rooms for 250 CZK an hour and 990 CZK a day... That's $11/hr and 444/day... I think that's a rip off...

I hope that there is a WI-FI card that I can use in the room for much less than $11 an hour...

Hope to get a good useful tip here...

thanks to all who helped out already... :D

5. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Bloody hell.
    You kiddin'???
    250Kc per hour and 990 per day? LOL That's more than a rip off. I'm paying 1000Kc for whole months for 4Mbit internet.
    That's definitely not a good behaviour from the hotel.

Where is your hotel located?

6. GuyFullaLove

Thanks Gem... I felt the same outrage considering I only paid $35 for a whole week on a desert island in the middle of no where (Aruba)... It is Grfand Hotel Bohemia Králodvorská 4 Praha 1... Any recommendation of another 4 or 5 star hotel in Praha 1 WITH perhaps free high speed internet access... an preferrably a bidet since we have none in the US?

What does everyone think of Grand Hotel Praha on Staromestske namesti 22 110 00 Praha 1????

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Grand Hotel got one review on this site on the thread Zizkov. There is some other related material if you do a search on the keywords "grand" and "hotel."

8. GuyFullaLove

Thanks Sova...

That review was for the Grand Hotel in Zizkov... which I believe would be Prague 8... I will be staying at the Grand Hotel Bohemia in Prague 1.

Actually, there is at least one more Grand Hotel I am aware of... and that's the Grand Hotel Praha in Prague 1.... So, with a Grand Hotel here... a Grand Hotel there... Here a Grand, there a Grand.... Everywhere a Grand-Grand... you get the drift... I think it is a conscious conspiracy by the Czech government to keep us tourists on our tows.... :lol:

On a serious note, I have NO idea how my fellow Americans "just" pick up and go to Prague and HOPE they will enjoy their stay... I have been planning and educating myself for over a week... and the more I learn, the more I realize I need to learn more to enjoy Prague and not get lost... :x ... I am a relatively smart dude... and if I hear a word 3 times I usually remember it (including Chinese words)... but NOT czech street names... It took me 5 days and 20 times repetition, using my most advanced memory techniques, JUST to remember kralodvoska, which is the name of the street where my hotel is... For those who know how to use memory techniques, I used "Carlo Divorce Ka)

The good news is after a week, I am starting to get the hang of things... starting with simple phrases like "Ukončete prosím výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají" and "Příští stanice... Florenc"...

Peace to the World!... :lol:

9. guither

guither Member

... and I'm going to be staying at the Grand Hotel in Revnice (a nice distance outside of town) in September for my first trip to Prague.

10. GuyFullaLove

he he... The freaking Grand Hotels should be sending advertising fee to www.myCzechRepublic.com for the free promotion they're getting...

Peace.. :roll:

11. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Side note to the Czech word order:

If the word Grand precedes the word Hôtel, it is not a name of the hotel, but an attribute and means great. Sometimes it is spelled Grandhotel.

8)

12. guither

guither Member

Good point. I re-checked my booking and I am, in fact, staying at the Hotel Grand. (so it's uncertain as to whether it will be great)

13. GuyFullaLove

UPDATE: I "negotiated" a very resonable deal with Hotel Management on my first day in Prague and now I have fast speed broadband connection IN my room 24/7.

My tip: ask and negotiate!...